Is Aeration Bad In Heavily Planted Tanks?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Sokonomi, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SokonomiValued MemberMember

What it says on the tin; Is it bad to have a form of aeration going on in your tank, if its a heavily planted CO2 injected tank?

Some people compare aerating a CO2 injected tank with shaking a beer.
    The bubbling is allegedly letting all the CO2 out, creating a waste loop.
    Mine is just a humble 20 gallon tank, and my filter has a detachable air diffuser,
    with the CO2 diffuser sitting at the opposite end of the tank.

What is the general consensus here on the forum;
    Aerating a small aquascaped CO2 tank; Yay/Nay?

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

No its not bad.

3. anirocWell Known MemberMember

Nay for me.
    I like the comparison you mentioned. Here is another suggestive one: to aerate a CO2 injected tank is like trying to fill up a bath tub without a plug.

4. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

I like your bathtub analogy Aniroc!
    Nay on Aeratoring for me as well
    Aeorating is use to create turbulance on the water surface to promote gas exchange (changing CO2 for O2) you add CO2 to the tank so your plants can do that instead and grow at the same time.

5. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Aeration is important, but when running CO2 you want to have your water saturated with CO2, and aeration will gas it off. However, you want your plants utilizing the CO2 in such a way that the water column is simultaneously saturated with O2.

This is one reason I use glass lily pipes on my CO2 injected tank, I get really good flow but there is very little surface agitation. Plants pearl away happily and there's a constant champagne bubble effect from all the extra O2 being produced. :)

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Agree. It can be usefull to aerate at night though (If CO2 is still added)

7. SokonomiValued MemberMember

Some good input!
    I figured it should be the plants job, pearling is how you know its working.
    My CO2 gets turned off with the lights at night, no point running it when the plants aren't synthesizing.

8. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Aeration is important in CO2 injected tanks. Higher oxygen will make the CO2 safer for fish (so to speak) and will allow you to push the limits of CO2 more than normal. It’s also just healthier to have an oxygenated tank.

Therefore what must ideally be done is good surface agitation along with decent CO2 injection. It sounds counterintuitive, but the CO2 will eventually become stable even with this agitation. Also remember that without agitation, CO2 will build throughout the day and have nowhere to escape to, reaching dangerously high levels in the final hours.

This is a highly informative video on the subject:

9. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

There are also small nano tank sized pumps available now in a lot of places. Nay.