Is adding 2 new platys to my 3 OK? 30 Gallon Tank

1. RuffNot Initiate Member

Hi!
    I was at the aquarium shop yesterday and saw a new batch of blue platys. The guy at the shop said I could have one for free. They were beautiful! I think they are teenagers as they are smaller than the ones I have at home.

I have a 30L tank with 9 neon tetras, 1 male mickey platy, 2 female mickey platys, and 1 platy fry. I have lush plants on driftwood and the fishes are quite happy.

I would really like to have the blue platys! Would this make the tank too crowded? I do not want the platys to overbreed and do not want to spend too much time maintaining the tank.

If I get 1 blue platy, she may look too lonely. If I get two, should I get 1 male & 1 female? I don't want the single blue male to stress out the single blue female. Should I get 2 females?

Advice much appreciated, thanks!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

do you have a 30 liter tank or a 30 gallon tank?
    if its a 30L like your post, you unfortunately are severely overstocked already :( IMO adding more wouldnt work
    if its a 30gallon, yes you could add 3 more....1male to 2-3 females are best .....

good luck !

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

4. RuffNot Initiate Member

Yes, I think you are right. It would be too crowded, especially when the existing platys start to multiply.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello RuffNot. Welcome to Fish Lore. Glad to see you're doing some research before making purchases!
    Hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken