Is adding 2 new platys to my 3 OK? 30 Gallon Tank

1. RuffNot

RuffNot Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I was at the aquarium shop yesterday and saw a new batch of blue platys. The guy at the shop said I could have one for free. They were beautiful! I think they are teenagers as they are smaller than the ones I have at home.

I have a 30L tank with 9 neon tetras, 1 male mickey platy, 2 female mickey platys, and 1 platy fry. I have lush plants on driftwood and the fishes are quite happy.

I would really like to have the blue platys! Would this make the tank too crowded? I do not want the platys to overbreed and do not want to spend too much time maintaining the tank.

If I get 1 blue platy, she may look too lonely. If I get two, should I get 1 male & 1 female? I don't want the single blue male to stress out the single blue female. Should I get 2 females?

Advice much appreciated, thanks!

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    welcome to fishlore!!!

do you have a 30 liter tank or a 30 gallon tank?
    if its a 30L like your post, you unfortunately are severely overstocked already :( IMO adding more wouldnt work
    if its a 30gallon, yes you could add 3 more....1male to 2-3 females are best .....

good luck !

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Welcome to Fishlore!

4. OP
    OP
    RuffNot

RuffNot Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think you are right. It would be too crowded, especially when the existing platys start to multiply.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Hello RuffNot. Welcome to Fish Lore. Glad to see you're doing some research before making purchases!
    Hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken