Is A Tetra Whisper 10i Enough For A 10g Tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ruthvsreality, Apr 16, 2019.

1. ruthvsrealityNew MemberMember

Aqadvisor says it’s too low filtration capacity, but I have to change the water daily anyway (fish in cycle so hard :cries:), so I’d rather not change it unless I absolutely have to.

9 tetras (5 neon, 4 silver tip), 1 Platy, and some shrimp

2. JJBriantValued MemberMember

If I were you I’d get something like an aqueon 20. I used that in my 10 gallon with 10 neons, 4 Cory cats, 2 snails, and a betta. I was doing about a 30-40% water change every week and had no problems.

3. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

That is a lot of fish for a 10g.

What filter are you using now?

You probably want a filter rated for a 20g.

There are no industry consensus standards for ratings of filters, so most manufacturers overstate their filter's capacity

4. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

could just plop in a sponge filter for now too, that should help a tad

5. ruthvsrealityNew MemberMember

Can I use a penguin bio wheel filter without the wheel? It’s so loud :(

6. ruthvsrealityNew MemberMember

Thanks guys, I’m going to use a Marineland penguin filter I have instead - I’m not going to use the biowheel though because it’s loud as . I hope that’s ok

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@ruthvsreality , here is a LINK to a thread on the forum that may point you in the right direction for your filtration needs on the overstocked 10g.

You can definitely skip both the bio-wheel and the cartridges, by following some if the methods show in the DIY how-to thread I linked.

8. ruthvsrealityNew MemberMember

Thank you so so so much! I’ll take out the biowheel and use the cartridges for now (I have a ton of them that I took the carbon out of) and I’ll be sure to get some of those cool media ball things.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Using the cartridges that you already have is perfectly fine.

When they need replacing though, be sure you cut off some of the felt pad and place it in with the new cartridge.

You don't want to toss the entire cartridge because that would be throwing away the beneficial bacteria and your cycle.

10. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

the 10i is rated about 80gph. for a 10 gallon tank that is about 8X turnover rate. factor in the filter media etc, maybe closer to 7X turnover rate. which is good. upgrading from the cartridge to custom filter media would be a lot better for these filters.

i have 3 of the 20i filters, i've done this mod for them. polyfill at the bottom and ceramic beads on top. during weekly water changes i throw away and replace the gunked up polyfill and gently swish the ceramic beads in old tank water and reuse.