Is a SunSun HW-303B Enough For a 72G Cichlid Tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by csutter1, Aug 10, 2014.

1. csutter1

csutter1 Valued Member Member

I can't decide between the SunSun-304 and SunSun-303. The 303 has the right size tubing for the heater I want to purchase (I want an inline) but I'm not sure if it will provide enough filtration and circulation for a 72G African Cichlid tank...I like the fact that the 303 does come with the UV light though.
    Opinions?
    I guess my other option would be to purchase two SunSun-302's and put inline heaters in both of those, I just wouldn't want to overdo it with the heaters. Would two 200 watt heaters be better or one 300 watt be better? Downside is no UV lights however..
    Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

One 200 watt heater will be fine.

As far as which filter, I'm not a fan of SunSun. Maybe someone else can help you with which one to get.

3. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

The 303 would turn over your water about 5x/hour and the 304 about 7x/hour. If your not overstocking, I would think the 303 would be okay.

I am going to disagree with Marie1, though. You typically want about 5 watts/gallon for a heater, so you'd be looking at 360 watts for that tank.

4. Marie1

Inline heaters don't work like in tank heaters. I use a single 300 watt on a 180 and a 220. A 200 watt will be fine for a 72.

5. OP
    OP
    csutter1

Im thinking I want to stock about 15 or so fish in my tank at completion, so that's a bit on the overstocked side.. Will the 303 still hold up or should I lean toward the 302s?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i would run with 2 of the smaller sunsuns . So you can stagger the cleaning

7. OP
    OP
    csutter1

The one thing I just can't get over is the lack of the UV light for the 302s. Is there a way I could supplement the benefits of the UV light some other way? Or is there maybe a cichlid, or cichlid compatible fish/creature that could control algal blooms??

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Marie1

UV is overrated. Your money can be spent better on other things in my opinion. Plus, the only good they do when they are built into a filter are for free floating algae. The water is moving by the light too fast to have it kill any parasites.

No fish will help with algae blooms. But you can help to keep algae under control. Don't leave your lights on for more than 7 or 8 hours a day helps. Make sure you don't have the tank where it will be sitting in direct sunlight for a long period of time. Change 50% of your water weekly.

If you do these things algae shouldn't be a problem, and then no need for a UV.

9. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

That's good to know. Is there any kind of a general rule for watts/gallon for the inline heaters?

10. Marie1

Not that I know of really. They only sell 200 or 300 watt heaters. I use 200 watts on 20, 29, 30,40, 55, 75, and 125 gallon tanks. I use the 300 watt on 180 and 220.

They actually do rate them for tank size, and the 200 watt recommended for 26 to 53 gallon tank, and the 300 watt for 53 to 80 gallons. From personal experience with them, those numbers are extremely underrated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice