Is a sunset honey gourami a bad fit for my tank

SpeedyFish

Today I was getting some extra Ember tetras and i saw some juvenile sunset honey gourami. I was thinking about getting some and ask the sale person if they would be a good fit for my tank. He stated they he wouldn't advise mixing them with the fish I already have because they might get aggressive when they're grown. I was thinking in the back of my mind and read that they were peaceful. Could he have been mistaken or they could really be a bad fit for my tank?

Since these were juveniles it was hard to determine the sex, and I only probably was thinking about getting 3 or 4.

My tank info.
40 gallon breeder.
12 cardinal tetras, 13 ember tetras, 5 octo catfish.
plenty of plants.
parameters. 0PPM ammonia, nitrites, nitrates around

BigManAquatics

I am not sure on sunsets. I don't really see the other fish going after the gouramis too much, so would think they would be relatively peaceful in the tank.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, for me I see little issue. Cardinals (at least for me) have never been an overly boistorous Tetra in my experience and I wouldn't expect much from a TRUE Honey Gourami. "Sunsets" are often the mislabeled Thick Lipped Gourami, though I wouldn't expect issues from them either.

Upvote 0

SpeedyFish

I tried to look up more information and "apparently" there is a difference between the honey gourami and the sunset honey gourami. The only main difference is the adult size. The honey stays at 2 inches while the sunset can get between 3.5 and 4 inches. Kinda glad I didn't jump the gun and buy them. I will try to go back tomorrow and take pictures for confirmation.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

So what SHOULD be referred to as a "Sunset Honey Gourami"(Trichogaster Chuna) is just a nice colouration of the gold variety, with a lovely red around the back of the fish. However, what you usually see sold as "Sunset" are a different species called a Thick Lipped Gourami(Trichogaster Labiosa). Which do grow bigger like you pointed out, they are also a little more aggressive in general.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

So what SHOULD be referred to as a "Sunset Honey Gourami"(Trichogaster Chuna) is just a nice colouration of the gold variety, with a lovely red around the back of the fish. However, what you usually see sold as "Sunset" are a different species called a Thick Lipped Gourami(Trichogaster Labiosa). Which do grow bigger like you pointed out, they are also a little more aggressive in general.
Exactly what Josh says. It is all about mislabeling / misnaming species. Even on the internet both are shown and in fact onlu T.chuna is correct. Those can be kept without any issue.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Irv
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover