30 Gallon Tank Is a sump mandatory?

SidTheAquarist

I have a fresh water 30 gallon tank (Boyu EA 100). I want to convert it to a salt water tank.

The tank size is:
38.5 inch Length x 18 inch Height x 12 inch Width

Someone suggested that this is a small size so a sump would not be needed. A 150gph canister filter (SunSun or Ehiem) should be fine along with an under gravel filter.

Also enclosed is the picture of my setup with cupboard dimensions.

My two questions are :
1. Is a sump really needed, can a canister filter do the job ?
2. Is the cupoard space (24 cm high x 84 cm long x 24 cm deep) reasonable for a suitable sump ?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Sid

david1978

Ditch the canister. They are a nitrate factory unless you stay right on top of it. Convert an aquaclear hob to your needs. You will be way ahead of the game.

saltwater60

An sump is not mandatory and I agree ditch the canister and under gravel filter. They are bad for saltwater tanks.

To help us more what is your plan with this tank. If you’re going reef a sump would be highly recommend.

AZL

I agree with the above, under gravel filter is really not ideal for marine and canister isn't much better. I would strongly advise a sump but it isn't mandatory - have a look at the Berlin method.

SidTheAquarist

david1978 said:
Ditch the canister. They are a nitrate factory unless you stay right on top of it. Convert an aquaclear hob to your needs. You will be way ahead of the game.
Thanks.
I checked on the AC70 and the Tidal55. Looking out for a thin one and read that one which have impeller in the talk have less maintenance issues and are more silent. Researching on this matter.

SidTheAquarist

saltwater60 said:
An sump is not mandatory and I agree ditch the canister and under gravel filter. They are bad for saltwater tanks.

To help us more what is your plan with this tank. If you’re going reef a sump would be highly recommend.
Thanks.
I will not go for a reef tank (atleast for a few years).
Plan is to:
1. Put in red sea as the salt.
2. Coral sand as the substrate.
3. Dead rock scape for hiding places.
4. Two clown fish to start with.
5. After 2 months paehaps add 2 more fish.
6. After one more month, add a bubble tip anemone for the clowns.

Please let me know if all this seems possible with a hang in back filter (i.e. no sump).

SidTheAquarist

AZL said:
I agree with the above, under gravel filter is really not ideal for marine and canister isn't much better. I would strongly advise a sump but it isn't mandatory - have a look at the Berlin method.
Thanks.
Just read about the Berlin method. Very nice.
However I would not like to go in for a reef tank soon, so want to delay the sump.

I realize sump is always the way to go. However my current constraint is that the cabinet below the aquarium has a shelf in between that limits the height to a mere 24cm, which I believe is less for a practical sump.

So, if I have to eventually go in for a sump, I will have to replace the whole cabinet and install the sump inside it. This is a big expense, so evaluating options and seeking guidance.

david1978

The media box is similar in both the tidal and aquaclear filters. And yes the difference is were the motor is located.

SidTheAquarist

david1978 said:
The media box is similar in both the tidal and aquaclear filters. And yes the difference is were the motor is located.
Sure. Thanks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom