Is A Sponge Filter Enough? Question 

pomfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone

I recently got a 60 gallon aquarium and would like to put an oranda goldfish in it.

I use live plants and sponge filters for my other tanks (20 gallons) and was wondering if sponge filters are still okay for fancy goldfish?

Thank you

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sponge filters are fine for just about all fishkeeping combinations. You still need to keep up on the weekly WC.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So long as it's a fairly big sponge filter with a powerful air pump, sure!

You would be surprised how much beneficial bacteria and unwanted debris a sponge filter can hold! Back when I was new and clueless to the hobby, my weak sponge filter kept 3 adult and 5 adolescent guppies in a 2.5 gallon alive and healthy I'm sure it can handle a goldfish in a large tank!

pomfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh great! Good to hear.
I'll make sure I get a good one.

Cathyannav

Reaction score
pomfish said:
Oh great! Good to hear.
I'll make sure I get a good one.

It won't hurt to get bioballs for such a large tank!

pomfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh thanks for bringing that up! I hadn't seen too much on them. I really just want 1 oranda and maybe after awhile another fancy type so, how many bio balls would be good?

Cathyannav

Reaction score
They would keep essential bacteria on your tank to ensure a heathly tank, so when you change the filter you just have to gently wash the bioballs and put them back in, so you don't have to restart the good bacteria needed for you tank.

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if bio-balls are too expensive, you can also use Lava Rocks. Very cheap and does the same thing!

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a big air pump and use two of the large sponge kits. This way you can alternate cleaning them. Remember to pretreat your water with API stress coat before you add it to the tank when changing water. Filling the tank and then dosing exposes your sponges to chlorine. ......and yes I said API stress coat and not Prime. API puts aloe in the ingredients which is one of the secrets for keeping gold fish healthy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom