Is a red belly pirrahna good in a 40 gallon long tank?

1. whatsafish7 Member Member

I was just wondering after i cycle my tank i just got i was wondering since they are legal would i be a nice fit in my tank. I f it is a nice fit would 2 be too much. I like pirrahnas and think they are beautiful fish but would two bab y red belly pirrahnas be too much or will 1 be too much please help?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

greg remember i told you it should be ok in it but two would be to much and they would most likely fight since they like to be in groups of six or more

3. whatsafish7 Member Member

oh ok but i really want two. my dad went to this place by my moms work and found 40 baby red belly pirrahnas for $7.99 each. He said they are anywhere from the size of a nickel to the size of a dime.

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

but they grow 8-12 inches long and fairly high too

5. whatsafish7 Member Member

i know but the tank is 16 ft high and shouldent it be big enough i mean 1 does no grow 20 inches or more. i know it might be dirty but i can always by an extra filter and i would do frequent water changes and i would my vacom my gravel a lot

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

16 ft high 40 gallon tank? WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!?

im assuming you meant inches or what?

7. whatsafish7 Member Member

yes i meant inches im srry but is that good

8. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well - they'd be fine... for now. Depending on how big they get, though, you may need to look for somewhere to put them if they do end up getting too large.

Two foot-long fish in a 40 gallon might be a bit cramped.

9. whatsafish7 Member Member

they get anywhere form 8-12 inches will they be a good fiut

10. Marc Well Known Member Member

Like I said - they may end up cramped if they get to be full sized.

11. whatsafish7 Member Member

but other than that you think they will be good if they are like 8 inches

12. Marc Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I think you should get just one to be safe.

13. whatsafish7 Member Member

ok

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

they can live in 30 gallons and are sometimes kept in smaller tanks... 40 should be fine for 2.

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no they cant live in 30 gallons in good health and two in a 40 there would be fighting most likely and you would have to get another filter greg and you dont have money for that right now

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

yes they can if you have a reason why not please say it but this site itself says they can!

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

a pirhana in a 30 would work but not for optimal conditions think of it this way put yourself in the tank and think about it you wont have much room to turn around and not much room to swim back and forth and you would have to have excellent filteration and gravel vacuum a lot

its an opinion more than anything else and the way i think of if a fish is too big i put myself in his/her position

18. Marc Well Known Member Member

Because they get to be almost a foot long. Most 10 gallon tanks aren't even a foot wide. Most 30 gallon tanks are hardly a foot wide! That and they'll be very cramped - just because they're kept a certain way doesn't mean they should be kept that way.

19. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

thank you marc pirhanas can get a foot long most 30s are a foot deep thats not much room to turn around

20. Jon Well Known Member Member

30 gallons are fine for pirahnas and a 40 gallon moreover... they do not grow that quickly and i doubt the pirahnas he buys will ever reach a full 12 inches. They will do just fine in a 40 gallon. Im not sure why you are so worried about filtration although they eat rich expensive foods they arent that intense polluters.