Is A Quarantine Tank Necessary?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Is there a chance of a disease that could wipe out the whole tank if someone skipped the 2 week quarantine procedure? I have bought 3 guppies and 3 platys from Petsmart, it has been a month and nothing seems to be wrong with them...

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

If those 6 are all you have in the tank, and they were bought from the same Petsmart at the same time, then they are from the same Petsmart water - so quarantining them individually will do exactly nothing.

All Petsmart tanks run off of single central filtration which is a large free-for-all sump.

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

absolutely nessecary if your adding new fish to a tank with fish currently in it, you just never know. Its a chance you take every time you add fish without quarantining them , who's to say they don't have an internal disease that you can't see.. and boom everyone catches it.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Yes but I am trying to get 10 neon tetras now and was wondering if a quarantine would be necessary for them

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Ah.

Yes, I would suggest you quarantine the tetras. You can just use a plastic tote as a tank, and by the way, QT should last at least 3 weeks.

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Once the tank has established with healthy fish, then all newcomers should be quarantined. Or prepare to improve your skills at diagnosing and treating disease in the community tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

@tunafax @OnTheFly
    Thanks for the information. So I have a spare 29 gallon tank, and I will only fill half of it because it will be temporary. I will be getting the neons tomorrow and was wondering what temperature to keep the qt tank at, also should I pay attention to their gender or will getting a mix be ok?

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

neons tetras thrive in lower temps between 70f-74f.

Gender won't matter with neons tetras.