Is a plywood aquarium safe

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Hashfrowns77, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Hashfrowns77New MemberMember

I recently got a 150 gallon tank secondhand. To be honest, it's a little more used than I originally expected. It's going to have to be replaced sometime in the future. A 150g aquarium and stand set from petsmart costs about $750. According to a video on YouTube, I can drop $200 more dollars, double the size of the tank, and it'd be completely customizable. Is a plywood aquarium worth the trouble? How often would I have to recoat the waterproof sealing?
    Thanks.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What do you mean by plywood aquarium? Do you mean the stand? My boyfriend made the stand for my 55 gal from plywood, and it's beautiful! By the time it was built and stained, I think it was around the same price as buying one, but it means more to me than if he had bought me one.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Hashfrowns77New MemberMember

No, the whole thing is plywood.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. TexasDomer

That's weird. No glass or plastic? Pic?

5. Wendigoblue

WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

Do you mind posting the youtube video link? I've never heard of a plywood aquarium, but it sounds interesting!

6. OP
    OP
    H

Watch "HOW TO: Build a plywood aquarium | Part 1 | Building the tank" on YouTube

7. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Plywood tanks won't last forever from what I understand. I've never built one myself, but have researched it a bit. It can save you a ton of money if you want a big tank. I think the life expectancy is like 10 years. But I could be wrong. It probably has to do with how over built it is, and how and what you use to water proof it.

8. OP
    OP
    H

The front panel is glass, but everything else is plywood.

Ten years seems like a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  9. BDpups

There are quite a few people here who have done this and could probably offer some good advice on what you need and how much it will cost. $200 for a 300 gallon seems a little on the low side for this. It's usually around $2 or $3 a gallon depending on if you use regular glass, starphire glass, or acrylic for the viewing window and what you use to seal it.  

10. TexasDomer

But in ten years (if it lasts that long), you'll have to build another one. Whereas a glass tank could last a lot longer. You'd also have to make sure you're building it exactly right and the waterproofing is exactly right. Too much chance and work for me, personally.

If you decide to build one, please update with pics! I'm very curious about it!

11. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

If you watch the entire series of videos, this tank cost him just under $1000, including tank, stand, filtration and light.

12. OP
    OP
    H

I know. I meant it'd only cost about two hundred more for me to double the gallon amount and make it how I want it.

13. BDpups

There are quite a few people here who have done this and could probably offer some good advice on what you need and how much it will cost. $200 for a 300 gallon seems a little on the low side for this. It's usually around $2 or $3 a gallon depending on if you use regular glass, starphire glass, or acrylic for the viewing window and what you use to seal it. 

14. aquaman86Valued MemberMember

Ply wood tanks are not worth it in my opinion. Just save up and get a glass tank.

15. BDpups

Why is that? And if you want a big tank if you don't do plywood, then acrylic is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  16. Big Red

Big RedWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a cheap project that could lead to a very expensiveremodel of whatever room the tanks in when it decides to go.

17. brettturpin

brettturpinValued MemberMember

I've done it and as long as you follow all the instructions and support it the way stated it'll be perfectly fine just make sure you use the 2-part pond epoxy

I've built a smaller one a few years back but sold it.

18. BDpups

If you do a bit of research you will find this is a very doable and safe way to make a large aquarium.
    I followed this guys thread on MFK during his construction. It's all about building it strong and sealing it tight,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-7SrbrjtM

19. Big Red

Big RedWell Known MemberMember

I get that ive seen the vids myself. Its a very serious project this isnt a project to go half cocked in. Just my opinion but opinions are like....armpits everyones got em most of em stink.

20. brettturpin

brettturpinValued MemberMember

I would go ahead and build the tank, I mean build somewhere like your garage or something and if it falls apart on you then it won't ruin as much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice