Question Is A Male Or Female ?

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, fish keepers

How are you guys doing?

I have tried to discovered which one is a boy or a girl, but I don’t know. So, is someone able to tell me which one is a female or male ? Also, actually, I don’t know which kind of fish they are, sorry for a such dumb question, anyway, are they a kind of goldfish? I have them for more than 6 months and they’ve very healthy and happy!
Thank you
0911cbe9bc701d8a5047665a38196154.jpg
5e5fdfb8abb7e18ecfcea252d5de86b0.jpg
1e631d0c1a87273f79d73ed92d4c4cee.jpg
8a7acf26c57173b17a604d4d4fe1d63c.jpg
44cc539e38d799870b161ad25a51a9ee.jpg
095ddbba1df6635aa4221ee0095be883.jpg
792e38efed91f40b97d7d662a4a6a5a4.jpg
5d7a8906121743eb6f31204be568f64a.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's really hard to tell the gender of goldfish if you aren't a longtime goldfish person. The only ways I know are that males tend to have a slight ridge along the length of their bellys, are more streamlined than females and can have (but don't always) tubercles (small white spots on their gills and scales during breeding cycles. Some people mistake these tubercles for ich, but the ones I've seen are smaller than ich spots, more symmetrically scattered (like one spot per scale), and kind of pearlescent looking.
Females tend to be rounder bodied and have a concave vent. I don't see any obvious indication of any of the above on either of your fish besides the apparent streamlined bodies.
Because you have 2 different kinds of goldfish it's harder be sure of a body shape difference.
Males will chase a female around, usually behind and beneath bumping into her and try to push her into plants and the tank wall all in the attempt to get her to spawn. Of course, if both fish are males, they may do that to each other. Females will lay eggs, whether or not a male is present, however, without a male, the eggs will be sterile and will dissolve if they aren't eaten. If you could get good, clear, closeup belly pictures maybe a goldfish expert (not me) could tell you the gender. They are very pretty, healthy looking goldfish though!

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's really hard to tell the gender of goldfish if you aren't a longtime goldfish person. The only ways I know are that males tend to have a slight ridge along the length of their bellys, are more streamlined than females and can have (but don't always) tubercles (small white spots on their gills and scales during breeding cycles. Some people mistake these tubercles for ich, but the ones I've seen are smaller than ich spots, more symmetrically scattered (like one spot per scale), and kind of pearlescent looking.
Females tend to be rounder bodied and have a concave vent. I don't see any obvious indication of any of the above on either of your fish besides the apparent streamlined bodies.
Because you have 2 different kinds of goldfish it's harder be sure of a body shape difference.
Males will chase a female around, usually behind and beneath bumping into her and try to push her into plants and the tank wall all in the attempt to get her to spawn. Of course, if both fish are males, they may do that to each other. Females will lay eggs, whether or not a male is present, however, without a male, the eggs will be sterile and will dissolve if they aren't eaten. If you could get good, clear, closeup belly pictures maybe a goldfish expert (not me) could tell you the gender. They are very pretty, healthy looking goldfish though!
Thank you for your replay !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom