is a hood needed?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by josh11551, Apr 11, 2010.

1. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

i have a tank set up for maybe shrimp and wanted to know if they need a hood..

2. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Yeah all fish and shrimp can be jumpers so you probaly need a hood

3. ilikefishValued MemberMember

The shrimp generally shouldn't try to escape but its happened before where they jump... I wouldn't advise going hood-less...

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

if its for the planted tank i would got hood-less. other wise you will be cutting out alot of the wave length to your plants.. JMHO

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I would say yes, you should have a hood. there are other reasons except jumping to have one. It helps with evaporation, and keeps contaminants out of the tank.

6. Betta Whisperer

Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

I don't have a top on my shrimp tank but I keep the water level down.

7. OP
    OP
    josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

Is there any way i can make a makeshift hood out of plastic wrap? I only ask this becase the tank s a 15 gallon bowfront it was meant to be used as a reptile aquarium and had a screen top but they never used it and i want to order a hood but it may take a while and thought since it is an HOB filter there would be enough air from the filter and enough room to put shrimp food into the Tank if i could do that...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice