Is A Heater Required To Keep A Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Vortexed, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

Would a heater be absolutely required to keep my betta happy?

Its a 1 gallon tank. If I need a heater, how much do you think it would cost??

EDIT, QUESTION: Would a 15 watt heater be too hot for a 1 gallon tank??

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

The betta would need to be at a stable 77-79 degrees F (25-26.1 degrees C) so if you don't have that as a constant temperature, you're gonna need one
    an aqueon 50 watt should be like $20-30

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Why do I need 50 watts for a 1 gallon tank O.O

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah you need a heater. They need 78-82f and a heater will keep water stable.

5. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Would a 15 watt heater be too much for a 1 gallon?

6. BottomDweller

Maybe a little much but I think it would be difficult to find a much smaller one.

7. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

ohh sorry lol
    a cobalt mini heater 5 watt is like $10-$15 but if you look hard enough somewhere it might be on sale

8. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Is the 1 gallon a permanent home?

Bettas should have at least a 2.5 gallons, if it is a female or a short fin betta you should have a 5 gallon

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Soo.. Should I set up a 15 watt heater now and get a new 5 watt tomorrow, or just wait..?

10. BottomDweller

Do you have fish in it yet?

11. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

There is no "minimum" or "atleast" for bettas.

Some people say 1 gallon. Others 2, more 5, the truth is there is no minimum. The minimum is dependent on the betta you get and its personality.

No not yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  12. BottomDweller

Then I would just wait until you find one the right size for your tank.

As Al913 1 gallon isn't big enough for a betta really

13. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Read what I have said about that.

I have seen bettas active and happy in a 1 gallon, sometimes even in a 0.5 gallon. I dont have the money for a 2.5 gallon, my dad says the 5 gallon I have is too big because I already have a 20 gallon tank, and I just got this tank. I cant spend any more money on it.

14. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Why is their no minimum? So a betta I guess is fine a one of those betta cups? :( Why do other fish get a minimum tank size yet bettas don't?

The fact that the bettas are active mean they need a bigger tank than the 1 gallon. What consitutes as "happy". Just cause its swimming and eating doesn't meant its happy.

15. BottomDweller

I have read what you said. I really don't believe a betta can be happy and ealthy in a 0.5 or 1 gallon tank but I explained this in your other thread.

Why don't you just get a couple of shrimp? It's not the beta's fault if you can't get a bigger tank. If you can't provide a large enough tank for an animal to live very happily for it's full life then it's not fair to get the animal.

16. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

As seen by this thread, a ,5 or 1 gallon tank is not adequate for a betta or any fish. We are having problems finding a heater for this tank!!! Many people on this forum and others who kept a .5 or 1 gallon tank who manage to find a heater, when their heater malfunctions(which isn't uncommon for such a small device) their betta died since the water was 85F or higher in some cases. The small water volume makes it so any slight change is drastic.

17. pixelhoot

pixelhootValued MemberMember

Hey! Wanted to weigh in on the whole size thing. I'm sure you have seen bettas active and happy in a small tank, but really it's simply not practical to keep them in such a small tank. Ammonia builds up dangerously fast, regardless of how happy the fish is. This is detrimental to their health and can cause them to have shorter lifespans overall as their liver has to deal with all those toxins constantly.
    I understand that your financial situation might have it to where you cannot buy a bigger tank, but there are more temporary options that will not harm your betta. Simply picking up a plastic bin that has plastic safe for a fish of 2.5 gal or more is just fine. In the US, recycling numbers #2 and #5 are perfectly fine. You can even swing by the local hardware store and pick up a 5 gal bucket. In the meantime you can save up to buy a bigger tank and see your betta do his best! I hope this helps you. :>

18. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Just to add on, why would you want to buy a betta in which you aren't able to provide a decent(2.5g) home? Why get any kind of pet if you know you can provide what it needs?

It would be best to get shrimps!

19. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Im really not interested in getting shrimp ;(

20. BottomDweller

Thai micro crabs? A nerite snail?

5 Gallons don't cost a lot more.

21. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Fine, everyones saying that 1 gallon is like animal cruelty or something

I can put the betta in my 20 gallon aslong as it doesnt kill or harm my fish. So.. would a betta harm the following

Molly

Swordtail

Neon tetras

I have a 5 gallon tank.. I would 100% use it but my dad says its too big because I already have a 20 gallon so I dont need a 5 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice