Is a good bright light all I need to grow beginner plants?

elisa001

Hi guys, apologies if this sounds really stupid I am new to planted tanks. I started a low tech 10 gallon planted tank with a cheap light, plant substrate, and some root tabs and some of my beginner plants are doing good. I have not managed to keep carpet plants alive and Amazon sword is melting. Anubias (planted in substrate) and java fern (hanging on driftwood) are doing well. Not looking to get into CO2.

I wanted to add some plants to my 55 gallon goldfish tank. The water temp is usually 74. I am looking into some DIY grow lights. Hypothetically speaking what results might I see if I were to just throw some easy plants in there with root tabs and a good light? Im not sure if I want to add substrate (it’s a bare bottom rn) is a good light and some ferts enough?

EbiAqua

A lot of your easier plants are actually going to be water-column feeders. Anubias, Bucephalandra, Java Ferns, mosses; none of them need a substrate. Just attach them to hardscape or wedge them into cracks and crevices, and dose a high-quality comprehensive liquid fertilizer. The good news is, these plants are undemanding when it comes to lighting, and due to having tough or bitter leaves, goldfish don't try to eat them like some other plants.

Upvote 0

smee82

I would get T5-ho fixture with a good reflector. Im not a fan of LEDs but thats just me.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies
Views
LeviS