Is a "Gold Albino Ancistrus" a bushynose pleco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My LFS has a tank of "Gold Albino Ancistrus" plecos for $7.99 each. I asked the worker if they were albino bristlenose, and he had no clue. Most of what I find online leads me to believe that these are, in fact, albino bristlenose. It seems that there are different species within the Ancistrus genus. I guess my question is:
Would this be an Albino Bristlenose? If so, I want to go back and get one! I'm just not sure if all Ancistrus genus stay small. I don't want to bring one home and have it grow to 18"!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
True albinos have red eyes. There are fish that look like albinos that don't have the red eyes, but they are actually called something else. Those fish are usually marked as "golden."

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
True albinos have red eyes. There are fish that look like albinos that don't have the red eyes, but they are actually called something else. Those fish are usually marked as "golden."
I'll have to go back up and take another look. They were all pretty small...maybe 1.5" long. They were more of a yellow color than a white color. I have an albino cory, and he's more white...these were a little more yellow. Would it be best if I could get a photo, or should I try to ask someone else there and see if I can get any more info? I'm looking for one for my 38 gallon, so I want to make sure it won't get too big.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
most deff abn's and a nice one hard to tell size, but if its 4 or more inches, thats a gal my boys are 3-4 inches with a ton more bristles

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's what my albino BN looks like.
Thanks, I picked this one up today!

most deff abn's and a nice one hard to tell size, but if its 4 or more inches, thats a gal my boys are 3-4 inches with a ton more bristles
Thanks...it's still a little on the small size...maybe 1.5" - 2". Most of the ones in the tank were all the same size. I was wanting one with bristles, and this one looks like it's starting to show some, so I grabbed it!

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really like the way those albino BN plecos look, such a cool color. I saw one at my lfs right after I bought my clown pleco and I was like hmmmm.. he's pretty cool, but I decided to stick with my clown simply because I'd already committed to it, but very cool, you got a nice looking fish there!

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like the way those albino BN plecos look, such a cool color. I saw one at my lfs right after I bought my clown pleco and I was like hmmmm.. he's pretty cool, but I decided to stick with my clown simply because I'd already committed to it, but very cool, you got a nice looking fish there!
Thanks, I've been waiting for my LFS to get in the Albinos...I've wanted one since I started the tank up in January. I got him into the tank this afternoon, and he's already been out and about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom