Question Is A Eheim 2217 Classic Too Much Flow For A 20 Gallon Tank?

BadBeans

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Greetings,

I’m in the process of setting up a new 20 gallon tank at home. I have an old EheI'm 2217 from a previous build and was wondering if I could/should use it in my new freshwater setup?

I’m concerned that it’s too much flow for such a small tank, even though I had previous drilled the holes larger in the outflow tube because it had been used in a 36 gallon tank (and wanted less current).

What is your opinion in the matter? Should I use the canister filter I already have for this 20 gallon tank, or sell it and get a smaller HOB?

Thanks!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m going to say to much flow. There are smaller canisters out there. A nice hob would be the tital 35. Good flow rate and a large media basket.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got a 2215 and 2211 running on a 25 gallon... Not too much flow at all.

If it is, turn back the quick connect closest to the filter a little to slow the flow. Spray bars, spin style outflow pipes etc. can slow flow as well.

Use the bigger filter for sure...

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unless you have fish that need very still water, it's almost impossible to create conditions in a home aquarium that would be more challenging to the fish than the circumstances in their home waters. Water moving at one foot per second is going only 0.68 miles per hour. That's a very slow river.

Thor555

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flow can be reduced on the outlet of these EheI'm filters. I have run a 2215 cocked back to 1/3 "throttle" for more than three years and it has never caused it a problem.

I don't do it to reduce flow in the tank though, I do it for other reasons. You can easily devise a method to "scatter" or diffuse flow to a minimum using some DIY and you can run the filter full-out.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
2217 on a 20 gallon is fine. Dial down the flow and you should be ok.

I run an ac20 and ac50 on my 20g.

OP
B

BadBeans

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to thank you all for the replies!! I’ve decided to use my canister filter as most of you suggested. I will dial down on the outflow tube if I need to. I had previously drilled the outflow holes at the very end larger because I wanted less flow for my previous setup so hopefully that itself will do the trick, but if not now I know about the closing the valve slightly (I hadn’t thought of that). I’ll check back in a few weeks and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!

New Threads