Is a dwarf gourami a good beginner fish?

fishbum
thanks guys lets vote DG or cichlids no page long answers just DG or cichlids I'm getting my fish this after noon so huury

DG,until you get more experience,I would not put cichlids in a 10 gallon.

russ757
fishbum I give you the award for most comprehensive replies thank you

fishbum
Russ, I'm sorry, I just keep shooting you down, and I don't mean to, I just want you to have a good experience with this wonderful hobby.
Your aquarium info says you've had the tank for a couple days, not nearly enough time to complete the cycle unless it's been seeded with used filter media from an established tank or used Bio-Spira (although I have no personal experience with it.)

What are you using to cycle?Did you get some bottled bacteria,or established media?

russ757
yes I ahve bottled bacteria

I will keep yal updated ok?

voting is still open if u want to vote;(

I'm alone on this thread lol

oh and BTW I'm using a filter that already has a bed of bacteria in it

fishbum
OK,good luck!Remember to add fish slowly so you do not overwhelm the bio filter.And that most pet stores take returns if something is not working out in your tank,but ask BEFORE you buy.

russ757
ok thank you I thought about it and what is better for the fish is more important than what I want so I'm going with 2corycats and 1 DG

Alessa
That is one awesome desicion! I am proud of you for that.

Dgs are full of personality and are awesome fish. You'l be happy with him/her.

angelfish220
Did you get the cories or DG first? I would add the cories then the DG.

russ757
read my latest thread on gouramis and see if u can help the thread is uder Dwarf Gourami

Shawnie
I think you have ammonia in your tank..do you have a test kit?

russ757
I tolduI got it tested literally 20 mins before adding fish and my bro bought his tank and immediatly put fish in and his fish are fine

I put stuff in to lower ammonia and nitrites

Lucy
What stuff?

russ757
hey guys I'm back on the ppl at the pet store said to let him calm down and keep the light off most of the time they think the "twitch" is stress related

angelfish220
did YOU test it? or did the petstore. Petstores are notorious for saying that your water is ready and it isnt. You should purchase a API liquid test kit and test yourself. If there is ANY ammonia or nitrite, then 50% water changes daily for you!

russ757
look at MY READINGS ON MY AQUARIUM INFO

Lucy
I'm done.

Shawnie
russ the ammonia will kill him!

angelfish220
You have ammonia. Ammonia is a fishkiller. You need either Tetra Safe Start (But I don't know if I'd trust it yet) or BioSpira. or a seeded spounge from a mature tank.

gwat6
ok

Shawnie
outta curiosity, how old are you and your brother gwat?

Butterfly
I did look at your readings and the only thing showing is ammonia .5. where's the Nitrites and the Nitrates?Sorry if I over looked it.
When your tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some Nitrates it is finished cycling AND ready for fish. 50% water changes will help control the ammonia and now that you have fish in the tank (yes the twitch is from ammonia) you will need to do water changes and test every day. Putting fish in before the cycle is done slows the cycle down because you have to do the WC to keep your fish alive.
??
Carol

gwat6
ok well lets just say me and gwat are definateley younger than you and my ntrates and nitrites are0 I don't trust that test though

Butterfly
ok well lets just say me and gwat are definateley younger than you and my ntrates and nitrites are0 I don't trust that test though
Are you using the API liquid test? If so sometimes you have to shake them extra hard to make sure they are dissolved and will test correctly. If your using test strips they are frequently inaccurate.
With Ammonia shoing and no Nitrates your tank is definitely not finished cycling. In the cycling process ammonia will really spike high and can kill your fish. Monitor the ammonia and nitrites closely so your fish are not hurt and you can truly enjoy your hobby. Dead fish aren't fun or decorative.
carol

gwat6
ok ty and they were test strips though to test ph I use the liquid test kit we use for our pool

Shawnie
Are you using the API liquid test? If so sometimes you have to shake them extra hard to make sure they are dissolved and will test correctly. If your using test strips they are frequently inaccurate.
With Ammonia shoing and no Nitrates your tank is definitely not finished cycling. In the cycling process ammonia will really spike high and can kill your fish. Monitor the ammonia and nitrites closely so your fish are not hurt and you can truly enjoy your hobby. Dead fish aren't fun or decorative.
carol

he just got the tank yesterday and the fish today ...

gwat6
we were mis informed by the pet store then

Shawnie
gwat, a lot of us tried to help you yesterday before you got either

angelfish220
I'm sorry but I can't help looking over the 4 other pages where we said to do the same thing we are saying now.

By the way consider that at this moment I can tell you atleast 14 other members that are below the age of 18.

russ757
well guys I'm trying but how long will it take for the ammonia lowerer to work

Butterfly
gwat, a lot of us tried to help you yesterday before you got either
Most of the time all the pet store wants to do is make money. If you buy fish and they die then you will come back and buy more (There are some reputable stores out there granted)
But we have no vested interest in you or your fish tank except to see your fish healthy and you to enjoy your hobby by helping you anyway we can. So we have no reason to waste your time and ours by giveing you bad information.
We're just trying to help.
Carol

russ757
I see how much do test kits cost cause if its like 50$ for atest that is kinda pricey for sumone who gets paid 3$ a week lol

angelfish220
here it is for 15$

russ757
of gratsI gratsI (thank you in italian)

angelfish220
de nada! (Your welcome in spanish )

Is your lfs a chain store? most of the time they match their online price which is cheaper.

russ757
my lfs is petco or petsmart so itis an overpriced chain but yes it is a chain

Butterfly
Petsmart usually has a coupon on their website you can print out and take to your store.
carol

russ757
hey butterfly can u delete all the other threads I have made other than these two in gouramis ive had numerous complaints and I don't want to annoy ppl and they said to contact a mod so I am telling u now

angelfish220
Its a little more expensive 22$ but then you wouldnt need to pay for shipping. just print this and show it to the clerk.

russ757
ty that info might just have saved my fishes life

Butterfly
Tell me exactly which ones and I will be glad to merge or delete whichever ones we need to.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Oxfordislandfish
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Top Bottom