Is a dwarf gourami a good beginner fish?

russ757
hI I'm new at keeping aquariums I have a ten gallon tank with plenty of nooks and crannies and I was wondering if 2cory cats 1dwarf gourami and a small school of fish would get along all help appreciated!

sirdarksol
One dwarf gourami and a couple of cories would pretty much fill a 10 gallon tank.
Both kinds of fish are pretty susceptible to poor water conditions, and dwarf gourami have recently been going through an issue with a virus known as iridovirus. I don't know the status of the iridovirus pandemic, however.
Other than these two issues, a dwarf gourami and two cories is a decent setup, and wouldn't be terribly hard to keep going, as long as you cycle the tank beforehand and keep up with weekly water changes.

russ757
thanks

thanks for yopur help it is greatly appreciated

fishbum
One dwarf gourami and a couple of cories would pretty much fill a 10 gallon tank.

One dwarf gourami,3 cories,and a small school of small tetras,like neons or glowlights would be fine and not overstocked.You might consider some panda cories,they are also dwarfs.

russ757
I'm con fused so which is the right answer?

Lucy

One dwarf gourami,3 cories,and a small school of small tetras,like neons or glowlights would be fine and not overstocked.You might consider some panda cories,they are also dwarfs.

I agree with with sir, a dwarf gourami can get to 3" and the cories 2.5 a peice. That's 8", there's not room for a school of anything.

russ757
any other ideas for a colorful fish full of personality?

but is a gourami a good beginner fish

my filter turns my water over 8 times an hour

actually I'm thinking of putting in a pair of chiclids and nothing else would that be ok

Alessa
put NO more than one inch of fish per gallon and there is NO ROOM WHATSOEVER for a school of fish.

also ciclids need a larger tank, even if they are small.

I agree with sir and lucy. More fish on a 10 gallon, even if fully cycled and your fish will be soaking in dirty, nitrate-full water... every experienced aquarist knows that more than one inch of fish per gallon is UNHEALTHY for the tank inhabitants.

and Yes, dwarf gourami are a hardy and good beginner fish, very resistant to poor water conditions (not an excuse to put him in such, however) but yes, they are going trough a horrible virus known as iridovirus and most of the fish at the stores are already infected.

russ757
ok 1 the chiclids only get 4in ea. so would thse be ok?

Alessa
ok, the DG gets 3 inches and the 2 cories 5 gallons that would be 8'' of fish... plus the cichlid will be 12 inches which means 2'' overstocked. I wouldnt do it but it is up to you.

also, I wouldnt recommend the DG with the cichlid in such a small tank. They are both very territorial fish.

russ757
ok what I'm sayin is that instead of the DG idhave the pair of chiclids and 1or 2 corys would that be ok?

Alessa
ok what I'm sayin is that instead of the DG idhave the pair of chiclids and 1or 2 corys would that be ok?

yes, that would be ok. I guess, I have no experience with cichlids though.

russ757
okty

which do you think would be more intertaining and full of personality

do you have any other suggestions I'm open to all

Alessa
A school of 5 neons,totals 10 inches,that is if they all grow to 2 inches which they probably all won't.That 10 inches of schooling fish will not produce as much waste as a 10 inch fish.There is plenty of room in that tank,for a school of tetras.The 1 inch of fish for 1 gallon of water is not a good rule.Any experienced aquarist knows THIS!

if the only thing in the tank was the school of tetras I'd say go for it. but he wants something else, and yes, the "1 inch per gallon" is not acurate... it only works for the smallest of fish like neons and guppies, when you have a cichlid, a dwarf gourami or cories things change since they are bigger, produce a heavier bioload, and have higher space requirements for such a small tank.

Your original suggestion was 1 DG 3 cories and 5 neons? wow... 20 inches of fish in a 10 gallon. I am sorry but I cannot be irresponsible enough to agree that 2 times the bioload of a 10 gallon is healthy for the tank inhabitants... and no, I might not have a lot of experience, but I am at the very least to be honest with a begginer seeking for advice, who might not be able to deal with the problems that such a heavily overstocked tank would carry for him.

russ757
any other suggestions for a newbie

Alessa
well, the neons are very pretty... what about instead of corys you get 2 otos? they are very pretty!

russ757
I'm kinda stuck on getting a chichlid at first I didnt know how to get to the secnd page but now I know the tetras are out so is the gourami so could ihave 2corys and a pair o cichlids

where do you find apisto ciclids

Lucy
You can have a small school of tetras like Alessa suggested before, say 6 neons, they're pretty, then you can add some ghost shrimp, they don't carry much of a bio load at all and are really fun to watch.

The only thing I can comment about the gourami is there wouldn't before enough room for that and a small school of tetras, I don't know enough about them. Same with the cichlads, I don't know about them either.

I'm so glad you're asking questions rather then just putting fish in your tank.

russ757
TY I'm posting non-stop trying to take a crash course on cichilids but here is how I would like my tank listen carefully.

1male and 1female apisto cichlid

2cory cats

Lucy
Just becareful, do you research and remember what we want in our tank isn't always what's the best for the fish.

Good luck.

russ757
I agree completely

okut can I puta cory in with them?

Lucy
Lucy if you have something to say toMEthen say it.Different fish need different tank conditions.In a 10 gallon,the cories will stay on the bottom,the neons will stay in the middle and school,and the gourami will stay at the top.The bio load from these fish in a 10 gallon tank will not overwhelm the bio filter,and the fish will have plenty of room to be happy.They each will stay in their level in the tank,and will not bother each other.

It was not directed at you. As I said, he should do his research and I stated a fact.

I'm sorry you're choosing to take this personally.

fishbum
To all who think 1 DG,2 cory,and 5 tetra are too many for a 10 gallon tank,PLEASE read this.

Alessa
This is where you are wrong.The bio load from these small fish will in no way compromise the bio filter in a 10 gallon tank.These are all very small fish.They waste the produce will not overwhelm the bio filter in any way.He has a large enough mechanical filter for all of them,and as long as water changes with a gravel vac are done weekly,there will not be any problems with ammonia,nitrite,or nitrate.Just do not add all of your fish all at once.This will overwhelm the bio filter,and may result in some fish dying.
As far as cichlids go,even apistos which stay small,will produce as much waste with just a pair,as the 5 neon,2 cory and a DG put together.A pair of apistos will work in a 10 gallon,just like the neon,cory and DG.

w/ever. I'm done arguing, believe what you want to believe. I stated my position already and will not change it just becasue someone says "neons have little bioload and that's an excuse for heavily overstocking a tank"

COBettaCouple
russ757 - With a 10 gallon tank, you have limited cichlid options. I'd recommend a minimum of a 20 gallon tank. They need swimming room and are big enough fish to not fall under the "1 gallon per ADULT inch of fish" guideline.

Of all the fish mentioned so far in this thread, the best fish to be happy in that 10 gallon tank would be 1 gourami (3") and 2-3 cory cats (2.5" each) OR a school of 6 neon tetras (1.5" each).

All fish produce waste and MUST be counted in the bioload.

angelfish220
russ the cichlid I mentioned earlier was Neolamprologus brevis I have no experiance, but I recommeded them because of a magazine article, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Feb 2008, article: Top 10 for the 10 Gallon. Page 92, "A good species for beginners is Neolamprologus brevis. Males are a mere 1.5 iches when fully grown, and females even smaller. Both are pinkish-brown with electric blue markings on the face and flanks. A 10-gallon tank will easily house a pair of these fish.

This Magazine is a very good aquarium mag, and I trust their judgment. That is why I mentioned cichlids.

Barbrella
For someone new to keeping fish, as the OP is, apistogrammas are not the best choice.

A dwarf gourami and 5 small tetras like Neons would be better and easier for someone to gain experience with. Overstocking a 10 gallon can be done, but a small tank is a challenge when it comes to keeping excellent water quality in those conditions. Gouramis and apistos in particular need pristine water.

A UG filter with a air pump could handle the bio load of those fish in a 10 gallon tank.

UG filters are not really recommended. Over time, they tend to compact the substrate, suffocate the bacterial bed and just stop working. It's thought there is a connection between UG filters and HITH disease in cichlids.

Shawnie
I agree with CB and from experience, not what I read or others opinions, a DG in a 10 gal with anything but bottom dwellers, will result in major issues..and I'm not talking about bio load or overstocking I'm talking about agression...they are territorial and will chase the neons to no end...why put stress on ANY fish just because we want them? EVERYONE has a different opinion and that's what this forum is about...learning and making friends are another part of the forum...so either way, no matter what russ decides, its best for everyone to enjoy the site, or take it to pm...or use the "ignore" feature as its free!! just like our advice

angelfish220
Okay, does anyone around here have experience with the cichlid I mentioned earlier?

I didnt mean to cause trouble, I just thought that they would be okay for a beginner and a 10, as was said in the article.

I just want to know why these are NOT for ten galls when the article said it was. I've never had any problem with TFH and I find all the info accurate, but if someone has first hand experience with them and what would be bad.

I'm just afraid because I have mentioned that cichlid to several people, and I'm afraid I caused them to overstock their tank.

fishbum
hI I'm new at keeping aquariums I have a ten gallon tank with plenty of nooks and crannies and I was wondering if 2cory cats 1dwarf gourami and a small school of fish would get along all help appreciated!

Russ,keeping these fish in a 10 gallon would be fine.Tetras would make excellent small schooling fish for your tank.If these are what you decide on,I would add the tetra first,wait a week,add the gourami,wait another week,then add your cories.From what you posted earlier,you have adequate filtration for these fish in a 10 gallon tank.
As far as cichilds go.You could have a pair of dwarfs if that is what you really want.Your tank will need to be set up with lots of plants,caves,and or,driftwood to provide cover for them.Your filter for them should be fine also.Research what kind you want,making sure you select a species that does not grow over 3 inches.There are several types of apistos you could choose from,but getting them could be difficult,as not all LFS carry them.You can always ask them to order a pair of what ever species you want,they will usually do this,or order them on line.Keeping a pair of apistos can work,they are usually bred in 10 gallon tanks,but a 20 gallon would probably be best for them.
I have never had any problems keeping dwarf gourami with tetra.If this is something you decide you want to try,ask the store you are going to buy them at,if it is possible to return the fish if you have problems with fighting.
Remember to cycle your tank first.Fish less cycling is the easiest way to cycle IMO.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Shawnie
As far as cichilds go.You could have a pair of dwarfs if that is what you really want.Your tank will need to be set up with lots of plants,caves,and or,driftwood to provide cover for them.

with a 10 gallon, and all of the above, where do the fish swim? not much room left there

fishbum
with a 10 gallon, and all of the above, where do the fish swim? not much room left there

If I need to I can post pics of my 10 gallon with 17 fish and a snail.Despite what so many here think,it is not overstocked,the fish are healthy,there has never been a disease or a death in this tank.It has been stocked this way for more than 8 months now.I know someone is thinking,you can put 50 people in one small bedroom and they will survive,but they won't be happy.Well I hate to tell the people who think that way,but fish are not people!Some of them actually do better in schools,and thrive being in large groups!
Getting back to the original question,the fish swim in the water that is held in the tank!

angelfish220
Okay I really researched this and here it is:

Neolamprologus brevis is a hardy small cichlid from Lake Tanganyika, Africa. It is a shell dwelling cichlid that doesn't get any longer than 2.5 inches ( that is alpha males females usually 1.5) They enjoy basically a tank full of sand and shells, although potted "background" plants are usually tolerated. 1 bonded mating pair can be kept in a ten gallon easily, as long as shells are readily avalible. During the first few weeks of keeping them, they will be very shy, but come out more and more when they realize that humans around usually mean food.

They will take a cichlid 'pellet' and flake food, but brine shrimp, beef heart, frozen shrimp, and cooked chicken are all eaten with much more relish.

They will breed reg. as long as they feel safe and fed.

pH should be that of a tipical African Cichlid, but captive breed are fine with lower. Using a sand that will raise pH is recomended.

Apple snail shells, conch shells, escargot shells, basically any none treated, well washed, craft or pet-store shell of adaquete size is accepted. But don't expect to see the shells much as the fish tend to bury all of the shell except the opening.

Sounds like a fun fish!

Shawnie
If I need to I can post pics of my 10 gallon with 17 fish and a snail.Despite what so many here think,it is not overstocked,the fish are healthy,there has never been a disease or a death in this tank.It has been stocked this way for more than 8 months now.I know someone is thinking,you can put 50 people in one small bedroom and they will survive,but they won't be happy.Well I hate to tell the people who think that way,but fish are not people!Some of them actually do better in schools,and thrive being in large groups!
Getting back to the original question,the fish swim in the water that is held in the tank!

If you are an experienced fish keeper, I'm sure you know how to keep fish happy...this is NOTHING I would reccomend to any new fish owner as we can tell russ is..its only asking for trouble no matter how happy anyone thinks their fish are..I have an overstocked tank myself, but I maintain it very well and I have the knowledge to keep it as it should be...do I know it all? heck no.. ill learn till the day I'm gone..but remember, a lot of these ppl are kids just starting out and this isn't advice id reccomend for any of them because it would only ask for disaster in the end.. and the way your talking, your fish can probably walk in ALL that water for 17 fish in a 10 gallon

chickadee
I agree with SDS and would have to say that the Dwarf Gourami and the Cories would more than fill the tank you are speaking of. It looks to me that this whole thread has been one whole mess and very little has been accomplished but a person having a tantrum about what they want the rest of us to come around to thinking. I am so sorry that this thread was used in this manner. It was meant to help someone who came here asking about how to stock his tank and degenerated quickly.

No it is not appropriate to have the fish in question for first fish, in my opinion. And I do not think they do make good tank mates really for very many other fish. They have reputations for being a bit aggressive and Cories especially are timid and gentle fish and not any match for them. The Gourami would be the much better match with the cories but if you want fish with personality, I personally would have to say that there are no other fish will better personalities than bettas BUT they cannot go in with gouramis or cichlids or any other aggressive fish but would do wonderfully with a tank of 3 Cories with them. If you want a very active tank instead of the cories let me suggest a Betta and 3 Dwarf or Chain Loaches who are on the move and fun to watch all the time. The tank would not be overloaded and they are little clowns. They don't get all that big and they the more of them you have the crazier they act. Bettas are not bothered by them and they keep your tank HOPPIN'.

Rose

Rose

russ757
thanks guys lets vote DG or cichlids no page long answers just DG or cichlids I'm getting my fish this after noon so huury

Lucy
I can't comment on either of those fish, I don't know enough about them, sorry.
I know you didn't ask this, but I will refer you back to one of your other threads recommending you cycle your tank without fish:

Good luck.

russ757
my tank will be done cycliing this afternoon

Lucy
Russ, I'm sorry, I just keep shooting you down, and I don't mean to, I just want you to have a good experience with this wonderful hobby.
Your aquarium info says you've had the tank for a couple days, not nearly enough time to complete the cycle unless it's been seeded with used filter media from an established tank or used Bio-Spira (although I have no personal experience with it.)

russ757
dont worry I'm getting my water tested today if its not good I won't get them

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Oxfordislandfish
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Top Bottom