Is a Clown Loach a good Community tank

Macjsam

Hello! I got two clown loaches and they aren’t very large! But I wanted to know if they do well with being community fish. I have little experience with clown loaches. But have had experience with fish for 8+ years!

MacZ

They grow big (30cm). At one point a big, active fish will become a nuisance to less boisterous species. Also just two is... I would keep a group as big as possible and then you are soon at the point that you need a bigger tank.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

They grow big (30cm). At one point a big, active fish will become a nuisance to less boisterous species. Also just two is... I would keep a group as big as possible and then you are soon at the point that you need a bigger tank.
And need to be in a group

Upvote 0

Anders247

Hello! I got two clown loaches and they aren’t very large! But I wanted to know if they do well with being community fish. I have little experience with clown loaches. But have had experience with fish for 8+ years!
Welcome to fishlore! I agree with Mac, also want to note that for the long term you will need at least a 150 gallon aquarium to comfortably house them properly, as they are a schooling/shoaling fish.....

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Its always best to do your research before buying fish that may turn out to be unsuitable.

There is abundant information today compared to when I started keeping tropical aquarium fish 52 years ago when only a few books full of repeated misinformation were available and "experts" were just people who quoted these incorrect sources. So its natural for me to feel frustration at people who don't take advantage of this wonderful information at their fingertips.

Minimum in Clown Loach circles today is at least six fish in a 180 gallon of dimensions 6' x 2' x 2'.

I predate modern thinking by 27 years as I bought mine in Jan 1995.

When I bought my six everybody said to get a 3ft tank and said my 6ft 110 gallon of dimensions 6' x 18" x 18" was overkill!

They are a very social fish that need to be in a group.

My biggest is 11.5 inches even in my undersized tank.

Attachments

• 2021.09.14 Clown Loaches 6' aquarium Steve Joul (3).jpg
    2021.09.14 Clown Loaches 6' aquarium Steve Joul (3).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

Macjsam

Its always best to do your research before buying fish that may turn out to be unsuitable.

There is abundant information today compared to when I started keeping tropical aquarium fish 52 years ago when only a few books full of repeated misinformation were available and "experts" were just people who quoted these incorrect sources.

Minimum in Clown Loach circles today is at least six fish in a 180 gallon of dimensions 6' x 2' x 2'.

I predate modern thinking by 28 years LOL!

When I bought my six everybody said 3ft tank and said my 6ft 110 gallon of dimensions 6' x 18" x 18" was overkill!

They are a very social fish that need to be in a group.

My biggest is 11.5 inches even in my undersized tank.
Unfortunately I didn’t purchase them, I rescued a large group of fish from an awful home. Unfortunately I should have done my research but they are very happy at least for now until I find a more suitable home for them. Thank you for your reply!

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Well Clown Loaches are always in demand, especially larger ones. Only yearlings are legally exported from Indonesia as export of fish 4" and over has been banned since 2002 in order to protect wild breeding stocks (they can breed from this size). Large fish are usually obtained by checking your LFS for fish that other keepers have given up. Acclimatisation of wild large fish is poor with 0% to 7% one year survival reported. They can be seen for sale occasionally despite the ban.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
  • Question
Replies
Views