30 Gallon Tank is a Boesemani Rainbow an ok community fish

bigshane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is it possible to keep a Boesemani Rainbow in a community tank as a single with other friendly fish?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no first-hand experience with them but I consistently read that they should be in schools of no less than 5. I'd get them but I don't have room for five!

-Lisa

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do best in groups as they are a schooling fish. But the cool thing about them is you can mix and match the different types of rainbows and they'll school together. Since they like to be in such large groups I do not think your tank is large enough for them plus they get a little over 4" long.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One will likely bully the other fish....not on purpose though. Rainbows have such a strong schooling instinct that they'll try and school with other fish if there aren't any other rainbows. While this may sound like a novel idea, the other fish generally don't appreciate the rainbows advances.

It's not a good idea.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One will likely bully the other fish....not on purpose though. Rainbows have such a strong schooling instinct that they'll try and school with other fish if there aren't any other rainbows. While this may sound like a novel idea, the other fish generally don't appreciate the rainbows advances.

It's not a good idea.
+1. Bosemani would be very likely to chow down on your glass shrimp when it gets large enough to. Also I don't think the tank is really large enough for a Bosemani to be comfortable. They are very active.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Perhaps the smaller rainbows (dwarf neons; celebes; forktail blue-eye) would suit your tank better?

It was Bosemanis that started off my quest a month ago, re-kindling the idea of tropical fish keeping. However, given they are active fish, I personally gave into a moral dilemma that meant I did not feel a 48" tank was fair on these guys or any other of the larger rainbows.

Consequently, I'm drawn to schools of ~8 of each of the small guys, possibly with Halfbeaks above them and Sterbai Cory below.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I had two of the fish in question a while back (several years). One killed the other (sorry don't know what sex they were) and then the bully attacked one of my Silver Dollars and did some major damage. The Silver Dollar recovered but you can still see the battle scars.
I would follow the advice from the above posters and the link Meenu provided.

Ken

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i agree that 30g is not big enough for boseman, and smaller rainbows may be the way to go threadfin rainbows only get to about 2inches dwarf neon rainbows only 2 inches

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom