Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Is A Bigger Canister Filter Really Better?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by brondo, Apr 11, 2019.

1. brondoValued MemberMember

So I took yalls advice and instead of the Aquatop cf400 with 370gph i ordered the cf500 at 525gph for my 95g tank.
    Well its massive. I will have to modify the cabinet a smidge to fit it thru.

What Im now wondering is, the GPH goes up with waterflow right? But I cant just blast my fish. I know it holds more media. But doesnt the good bacteria live on all surfaces in the tank? Is that extra basket doing much at all? Im really hoping that this makes sense and Im just not getting it. I am stoked on the spray bar. Thats cool. Thanks guys.

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Well with a tank that big, 2 smaller filters may be the better choice like most usually have. You would like to have about 700-950 gph for that tank so maybe 2 370 gph filters would be better to give you 740 gph. I would go with one canister and one HOB. A 370 gph canister and a 350 or 450 gph HOB like the Seachem Tidal 75 or the Tidal 110 for their benefits over all other HOBs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

if flow/current is a problem, you can add a diy spray bar made with pvc pipe to help slow the output flow.

i just ordered the cheap knock off copy of that same canister on ebay.

4. brondoValued MemberMember

It does come with a spray bar, and I got a great price on it, $130 on amazon with all the media, but I didnt consider the size of the door opening in my stand. I am going to have to modify it a bit. SMH. I dont want to go thru sending it back and all that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  5. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

You wont get the whole 500+GPH once you factor in the intake and discharge tubing, media in baskets and the pipes that make a "U" shape going over the lip of the tank.

If it comes with plastic bio-balls, consider stacking layers of foam sponge for that basket in lieu of the bio-balls.

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

for a 95G its going to be 5.5X turnover rate. maybe closer to between 4.5 to 5X with what @Islandvic mentioned. which is good for anerobic bacteria for denitrification. i just ordered a 5 gallon bucket of Pond Matrix for denitrification purposes.

i run 2 filters in all my tanks for extra circulation/turnover rate. if you have ceramic media, or any of the highly porous media, you don't necessarily have to have a ton of it b/c of their porosity each piece of ceramic can house a lot of bacteria. i'd keep the sponge filter in there.

7. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Great! I've been looking for something like this for months and months. Looks like I adjust my own recommendations for which media to use from now on. Always knew Matrix was king and Biohome second, but never found anything for all the others.

8. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Pumice stones are Matrix are always great as Cichlidude and skavatar advised.

I mentioned the layers of sponge as an economical alternative to the plastic bio-ball.

@brondo, @Skavatar , @Cichlidude and for anyone else interested, here is a ( ) or here ( ) to Hess Pumice "Ponics Stone" aquaponics growing media sized in 1/8"--3/8", 5/16" and 5/16"--3/8" pumice stones.

20lb bags of pumice ( roughly 11-12 liter if my calculations were correct) run between $17-$19 a bag.

Not sure what S&H is.

@brondo , one is to fill your bottom baskets with layers of progressively denser foams topped with a filter floss/Polyfil layer, then the remaining top 2 baskets filled with the pumice stones. You would have plenty left over for future filter purchases.

Each basket probably holds 2-3 liters easily.

On my next tank build, which hopefully coincides with a sump build for my 75g, I have been strongly considering buying a 20lb bag.

Clicking on the spec sheet, it's even states "Radioactivity: None". Ha !! So no crazy deep earth radon source here.

The Hess Pumice mine is one of the largest pumice mines in the world and located in Idaho. They sell pumice in probably over 20 different grades fine scientific grade powders to large aggregate size for road constriction, and everything in between.

I would suspect Seachem sources their Matrix from here also.

9. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

thanks for the link. i'd probably buy the chewlas, larger 1" diameter pumice stones for denitrification.   my rabbit might like to chew on them.

i couldn't find any place that had Pond Matrix in stock, finally gave in and ordered off Amazon.