Is a betta fish enough bioload for TSS+ in a 10 gallon tank

Vis

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I am opting for fish-in cycle, please don't suggest fishless cycling because I have researched hundreds of hours and I understand the pros and cons of both. </3

I want to have some rasboras and a betta in the long run.

Do you think 1 betta is enough to cycle the tank with?

I will be adding plants too.

Best Answer - View mattgirl's answer

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Vis said:
I am opting for fish-in cycle, please don't suggest fishless cycling because I have researched hundreds of hours and I understand the pros and cons of both. </3

I want to have some rasboras and a betta in the long run.

Do you think 1 betta is enough to cycle the tank with?

I will be adding plants too.
I hate the fish in cycle. It is basically fish abuse. You put a fish into a tank that isn't cycled. It is basically not cycling if you put in a betta.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore.
Just know what you are getting into. Fish-in cycles can be difficult and very hard on the fish. I would highly suggest getting yourself a bottle of Seachem Prime before cycling the tank. It detoxifies ammonia and will increase the fish's survival rate.
I personally don't like doing fish-in cycles, but if you insist on doing one, I can't to stop you.

I personally don't think a betta would be enough bio load. They have pretty small bio loads. Maybe the embers and the betta together would be enough? I don't know, you'll have to get more opinions on that.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you keep ammonia and nitrites down to negligible levels with water changes your little guy should come through the cycling process with no harm coming to him. The thing is, one little fish will add a very low bio-load to the tank so the amount of bacteria growing in the tank will also be very low.

Lots of folks will not agree with me and that is fine but in my humble opinion there is too much stress put on cycling a tank no matter the bio-load. When it comes to a betta in a 10 gallon tank, water changes alone could very well do what bacteria will do. Don't get me wrong. Cycling a tank is important but as long as ammonia and nitrites are removed with water changes there is no need to stress over completing the cycle 'specially when the bio-load is going to be so low. A fully cycled tank is more for us than for the fish. We can go longer between water changes if bacteria is in there clearing out the ammonia for us.

OP
V

Vis

Reactions
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Oops. To answer your original question. Your one little guy may not produce enough ammonia to feed the bacteria in the bottle of TSS. It may help though.
Ahaha yes I inferred that from what you said, thanks for clarifying. Harlequin rasboras are pretty small, do you think 5 of them is too many for the bottle of TSS+

I may cycle with 2 female bettas then, but I know that also runs the risk of hem getting agressive

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Vis said:
Ahaha yes I inferred that from what you said, thanks for clarifying. Harlequin rasboras are pretty small, do you think 5 of them is too many for the bottle of TSS+

I may cycle with 2 female bettas then, but I know that also runs the risk of hem getting agressive
Actually the 5 little fish should be just about perfect for cycling this size tank. I know the TSS says add it and do nothing for 2 weeks to allow it to work. That would be very difficult for me to do but it is up to you as to whether or not you can do it. It is very possible your little guys won't be distressed but if it seems they are be prepared to test for ammonia/nitites and do a water change if necessary.

New Threads