Is 9c Still Too Cold?

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by sassymomma, Apr 22, 2017.

1. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

I was planning on bringing back the goldfish on my next trip to my dad's

It's 9-14 all week

Next week in the 20s

Should I hold off?

They are four 4-6 inch common goldfish who are wintering in a 19-22degree 38gallon tank 3f5fddf176e4e2913ea9d744ff12d561.jpg

2. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

So you are moving animals from one environment to another environment and ensuring that you do not shock them by ensuring that the temperature is the same?

This seems to be straight forward and good sense. Bear in mind that there is no acclimation process mentioned for the other water properties such as pH, minerals etc..

3. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

From inside to outside

The water will be a fair bit colder if the outside temperature is 9degrees, but I can sit the bucket right in the pond to acclimate

4. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Overnight temperature is 1-2.....that tears it, I'll hold out a bit longer

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Goldfish can easily survive 1-2c.

I would wait until it warms up just so there's less of a temperature difference.

6. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

That is my thought too. My main concern is the big orange, who is getting really restless the last week or two

I was actually eyeing a doggy pool yesterday, to let him stretch out and swim lol(likely wouldn't hold many gallons though at 4' round and 6' deep)

I'll wait till next week when we have temperature in the 20s

When they came to me, it was late fall and the water was so cold it took over an hour to bring them house temperature. The water was probably close to 5 degrees

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice