Is 80 too warm for orange laser cory ?

jake37

I'm debating between sterbaI and orange laser cory for a 29 gallon tank with a pair of black angels. I keep this tank between 79-81. The description of orange laser suggest they should be kept between 71-79 so my thought is they would not be good candidates for this tank. Then again sterbaI description suggest 73 to 78 and most people I know keep them at 81-86.

Anyway per topic title - is 80 or 81 too warm for orange laser cory ?

angelcraze

HI Jake, I am not a cory keeper as you know, but I did hatch 24 orange laser cory eggs and the babies did very well at 78°f (at least). They grew up very well to be about 2 or 3 months old

.....until my friend accidentally grossly overfed and.....

Amazoniantanklvr

Corydork

jake37

But do you think they would be fine at 80 or 81 ?

HI Jake, I am not a cory keeper as you know, but I did hatch 24 orange laser cory eggs and the babies did very well at 78°f (at least). They grew up very well to be about 2 or 3 months old

.....until my friend accidentally grossly overfed and.....

angelcraze

But do you think they would be fine at 80 or 81 ?
Yeah sorry i'm not much help, I actually forget what temp I had them at, but I've never had a tank lower than 78. Could have been 80....
I'd wait for someone more experienced with cories. I just got excited because I never knew bronze cories could handle angelfish temps.

Amazoniantanklvr

Yeah sorry i'm not much help, I actually forget what temp I had them at, but I've never had a tank lower than 78. Could have been 80....
I'd wait for someone more experienced with cories. I just got excited because I never knew bronze cories could handle angelfish temps.
Really? Well mine do fine but...………………. I got them because they were the cheapest at PetSmart. lol

angelcraze

Really? Well mine do fine but...………………. I got them because they were the cheapest at PetSmart. lol
Ok are laser cories a variety of bronze? That's what I thought....so then lasers can indeed handle 80/81?

Amazoniantanklvr

Ok are laser cories a variety of bronze? That's what I thought....so then lasers can indeed handle 80/81?
No, the are not. I wasn't clear: my bronze do fine at 80. Corydork will be able to answer the OP's question though.

angelcraze

Or DoubleDutch would know!

DoubleDutch

Or DoubleDutch would know!
I don't exactly know but I think when there is a good waterflow Corys (especially from the aeneus-group) can handle a lot.

On the other hand one should realise the mentioned tempranges often are min and max (handled for some time but not on the long term). Long term thriving in between.

I think this site is pretty accurate thanks to the involvement of Cory-guru number one.

Corydoras sp. (CW010)

jake37

It is not clear if the orange laser are in the aeneus-group at least 2 of the articles I read said that was not a given. I talked to a couple of folks with them and they said they prefer cooler temps - mid 70s.

DoubleDutch

It is not clear if the orange laser are in the aeneus-group at least 2 of the articles I read said that was not a given. I talked to a couple of folks with them and they said they prefer cooler temps - mid 70s.
Uhhh it even was called aeneus for some time (and by some people even still is).

Orange Laser Cory (Corydoras aeneus) | Tropical Fish Keeping

There is not any doubt it is close related.

jake37

From that article:

Although Orange Laser Coryadoras are imported as Corydora aeneus and are a recently identified species similar to the Green Laser Cory (CW009), they could actually be a variant or arguably Corydoras melanataenia. Only time and the scientists will tell.

Uhhh it even was called aeneus for some time (and by some people even still is).

There is not any doubt it is close related.

DoubleDutch

From that article:

Although Orange Laser Coryadoras are imported as Corydora aeneus and are a recently identified species similar to the Green Laser Cory (CW009), they could actually be a variant or arguably Corydoras melanataenia. Only time and the scientists will tell.
Those are all in the Aeneusgroup Jake.

It is C.melanotaenia btw hahaha

jake37

Maybe I am clueless ?

Still i'm confused because I though people said the aeneus group of cory liked warm temps like sterbaI but everything I find suggest they prefer mid 70's.

Those are all in the Aeneusgroup Jake.

angelcraze

I am so confused as well! So bronze and orange laser both fall under C.aeneus? So if bronze are successfully kept at 80, so should orange laser....I say successful, maybe not in their ideal range, but as in they survive?

I don't have an opinion, just wanting to learn and get a clear understanding.

DoubleDutch

I am so confused as well! So bronze and orange laser both fall under C.aeneus? So if bronze are successfully kept at 80, so should orange laser....I say successful, maybe not in their ideal range, but as in they survive?

I don't have an opinion, just wanting to learn and get a clear understanding.
Not exactly. There are different groups that are named after one important member of that group in which all are close related (before they were DNA-id-ed as specific species a lot were seen as types of C.aeneus (C.schultzei, C.venezuelanus, lasers (CW009, CW010), etc...)

For instance the elegans-group contains napoensis, elegans, nanus, etc.....

There are still a lot of variaties of C.aeneus as well and maybe some of them will get a specific name in time.

I don't think all species in a group have the exact same tempranges as others, but most in the Aeneus-groep aren't that fuzzy.

Hoping this makes a bit sense.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mossman
Replies
Views
aquatickeeper
Replies
Views
kayla.s
Replies