Is 76F Okay For Melanotaenia Praecox Long Term?

Megaanemp

Hello,

I am new to Rainbowfish care, I picked up a school of Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish a couple weeks back. They’re doing great so far and colouring up loads. However, I’m doing more research into these guys and am finding some conflicting info regarding their ideal temperature and am hoping I can get some more opinions. They are currently being kept at ~76F and are growing well and seem very healthy. Do I just leave them be?

Advice from someone with more experience would be greatly appreciated

GlennO

Should be fine although slightly warmer (79-80) would be better if you want them to grow a little faster or to stimulate breeding.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
Should be fine although slightly warmer (79-80) would be better if you want them to grow a little faster or to stimulate breeding.
Okay good to know! If I don’t bother adjusting the heaters in my tanks they get a little warmer over the summer months more like 79F, so maybe they’ll appreciate the seasonal differences?

GlennO

Megaanemp said:
Okay good to know! If I don’t bother adjusting the heaters in my tanks they get a little warmer over the summer months more like 79F, so maybe they’ll appreciate the seasonal differences?
Yes no problem with that. I keep my Rainbowfish including Praecox at about 26C (around 79F). I remove the heaters in summer and my tanks get up to 30C (86F) during heat waves. They cope just fine.

I'd be more inclined to keep them a little cooler in winter if I didn't have some GBR's in there.

Megaanemp

GlennO said:
Yes no problem with that. I keep my Rainbowfish including Praecox at about 26C (around 79F). I remove the heaters in summer and my tanks get up to 30C (86F) during heat waves. They cope just fine.

I'd be more inclined to keep them a little cooler in winter if I didn't have some GBR's in there.
Thank again for the help

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom