Is 750 lumens too much for 5g planted shrimp tank?

fishietank

I'm trying to find a good LED aquarium plant light for my 5g shrimp tank. I have one plant (Rotala Indica) which requires medium to high light, but I don't want too strong of light that the shrimp might hide due to it being too bright (I've heard this can be a problem?). Is 750 lumens good or too strong for a 5g tank?

richiep

I'd say definitely to strong, something that bright could damage their sight what you have to remember shrimp can't close their eyes and it would be like looking at the sun through binoculars

fishietank

I'd say definitely to strong, something that bright could damage their sight what you have to remember shrimp can't close their eyes and it would be like looking at the sun through binoculars
thank you very much for your input. What would be a good starting point for plants that are medium to high light for a 5g shrimp tank?

Also, I have another question. How many lumens would you have for a regular shrimp tank? Is there any guideline of how many gallons to how many lumens/watts? Are you saying 750 lumens is too much no matter what size tank? If they were to go in a bigger tank, how do I know how many lumens per gallon without hurting their eyes or causing them to hide?

TClare

About 500 lumens would give you enough light for the Rótala. You could add some floating plants to shade certain areas for the shrimps.

fishietank

About 500 lumens would give you enough light for the Rótala. You could add some floating plants to shade certain areas for the shrimps.
Yes, floating plants would be nice but I don't have any at the moment and neither does my LFS. Would 500 lumens require the shrimp to need shade from floating plants? They have rocks and coral and plants to hide under if need be, but I don't want to force them to hide all the time.

TClare

Yes, floating plants would be nice but I don't have any at the moment and neither does my LFS. Would 500 lumens require the shrimp to need shade from floating plants? They have rocks and coral and plants to hide under if need be, but I don't want to force them to hide all the time.
I don’t know to be honest as I have never kept shrimp, but I would prefer to give them the option of some shade without necessarily having to hide…if you can’t get floating plants you could allow some stem plants to grow long so that the tops float on the surface.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• JustAFishServant
  • Lighting
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Goldfish4life
Replies
Views
MarimoMori