Is 75°warm Enough For My Betta?

Brandi Cortez

I have a 6.5 gallon tank with a 50w heater in it for Scuba Steve (male betta). I keep a digital thermometer going 24/7 and his tanks temperature never goes above 76 degrees. I've read that 75° is the minimum and I am wondering if that may be why he is obsessed with shoving himself between the heater and glass? My apartment is usually pretty cold, never above 70°.

I have another 50w heater that I could add to his tank but I want to be sure that won't make it too warm. Both heaters are 'auto' adjusting so in theory I am assuming they would shut off when its warm enough... right? Or do I need to just invest in a stronger heater? Does anyone have any experience with this?

You must be registered to see images

Katie13

76 is the bare minimum for long term, but they really need 78-82.

trash.binh91

76 is the bare minimum for long term, but they really need 78-82.
I agree, and out of curiosity, what is your tank design, along as what fish are in your tank besides betta if any.

GrayGray4231

That is a very nice tank you've got there.

Brandi Cortez

Thank you! I know its still kinda small but I'm hoping to upgrade to a larger tank again in a couple weeks.

Junne

I agree - the temps are best around 78. I used to keep my betta in at 81/82. You might want to get yourself an adjustable heater - it will especially come in handy if your tank ever comes down with ich.

Although now I see you have other occupants in there - they all require different temps ( cory's, tetra's )

RobinWhiskers

My first Betta was named Scuba!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Tikkakoski
  • Heater
Replies