Is 50w adequate for a 15 gallon?

bettafairy

Title says it all. I have a 50w submersible preset heater and I was wondering if it would be sufficient in keeping my 15 gal warm :) I think it’s set to 78 degrees. I used to use it in a 6 gal, so I’m unsure if it will still get the job done in the 15.

BigManAquatics

Yeah, the presets are set at 78 in my experiences with them. What is your room temp like? A 50w might struggle a bit in the winter, but probably should be ok in the summer unless y'all keep the house at like 60 degrees.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Yeah, the presets are set at 78 in my experiences with them. What is your room temp like? A 50w might struggle a bit in the winter, but probably should be ok in the summer unless y'all keep the house at like 60 degrees.
My room temp is around 65-67 I’d say. I’m upgrading my betta to the 15 so I’m hoping it will maintain adequate temps! My temperature gauge says 76 right now.

Upvote 0

Fisch

It may get borderline as the heater will have to work hard to overcome the 10° temp difference. You most likely will have a lot of fluctuations.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

It may get borderline as the heater will have to work hard to overcome the 10° temp difference. You most likely will have a lot of fluctuations.
I’m going to the pet store later today to buy a new one. What wattage should I look for? Or should I get a heater that I set the temperature on instead of a pre set?

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

my apartment is a bit cooler than most and I find that my heaters just to say manage keeping up with the 50W/10g rule. I would just try it, at worst you'll notice that it only keeps your water at 75 and you can just buy a new one

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would get one you can control if you do buy a new one eventually.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Thank you all for the advice! I bought a controllable 50w that is specifically meant for 15 gallons. It’s a lot larger than my old heater so I think it’s a better fit. Hopefully I won’t have too much trouble setting the temperature. I’ll set it to a slightly lower temp at first just in case it’s too warm.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • mantarae88
  • Heater
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
  • BellaFriedrick
  • Heater
Replies