is 400 GPH too strong for my tank???

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone. I ma upgrading my 20 gallon aquarium's filter for more filtration... and i want to know if 400 GPH is too strong for my 20 gallon long aquarium. Thanks!!!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems a bit excessive to me too. That's about 20 times the tank size...... octopanda, 250 seems a little bit over still.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see anything wrong with overfiltering as long as the fish aren't blown around. I like to see at least 10x the volume being turned over every hour, which would be 200 gph on a 20 gallon tank, and I often do much more than that. Most fish are fine with it, and it does help keep waste out of the gravel and add some more space for good bacteria.

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
would that do the trick ??? i have heard good things about these filters and it is 200 GPH.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's no such thing as over filtering as long as the flow isn't blowing the fish around the tank, what fish do you have in the tank?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
would that do the trick ??? i have heard good things about these filters and it is 200 GPH.
Hi, I have two of those filters on my 35 gallon and I love them. They don't have room for bio-media though. Here is a link on how to modify them if you want. 200 or 250 should be fine. On my two filters I put a little piece of filter padding under the outflow area and it really helps with subduing the current.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/191546-modifiying-aqueon-quiet-flow-filters-additional-media.html

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do an AquaClear, personally. That way you have lots of room for media. I would get a 70 and a 20 or 30. Or you can do what I did for my 29 gallon and buy one of these...

Worked great! Some even use them on 10 gallons, but I wouldn't go that far. A 20 gallon would be fine. The flow isn't as strong as you'd think.

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why not run two of your current filter on opposite ends of the tank? I prefer to over filter than under. I have 3 filters currently running my tank. This helps reduce dead spots, good circulation, even temperature through out and surface agitation.

Other benefits of multiple filters is the fact that I can service them individually on separate maintenance schedule to avoid mini cycle. Regular filter maintenance help keep nitrates to a minimum.

Also, in the event I have an issue with fish, I can immediately eliminate, lack of oxygen, temperature fluctuations, lack of filtration, ammonia, nitrites etc.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a side note that manufacturers calculate the GPH without any media in the filter. So you can figure the actual number with your media in is a good amount lower, a good estimate is 75% of the stated GPH. That number goes down as the filter media is used and clogs up.

20 gallon tank x 10 cycles per hour = 200 GPH. factoring in the 75%, you would need 266 GPH as stated by manufacturer. So with that I would say 250-300 would be good.

I have 650 GPH on my 50 gallon which is actually about 487 GPH with the media in place.

JFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an AquaClear 50 and that Quietflow 30 on opposite ends of my 38g. They're both great filters. I've noticed that the QuietFlows push water more horizontally because they have a bottom lip on the water exit, compared to the AC which has the standard water drop exit. So IME the Quietflow does create a tiny bit more surface agitation, but the AC has awesome space for media.

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so i am going to get another marineland biowheel 150 because i have had good experiences with them. Then i will run both on the same tank. That would be about 200 GPH if you count all of the media i stuff in my filters. thank you for all of your help!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom