Is 3" sand substrate too tuch substrate?

Nickguy5467
I was aiming for 2" of sand substrate but I ended up with 3". is that too much? I also wanted it to cover the white info part of the background so at least that part worked

37 gallon tank not filled or stocked yet

edit: I was told 2 20lb bags of sand would be 2 inches in the tanks 30L 12W . I should have measured the bottom of the glass up 2 inches. sadly I don't think lik that.

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_122553.jpg
    IMG_20180824_122553.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 173
Mcasella
You can have potential problems from anaerobic gases building up in the substrate if you aren't careful and move the substrate at least once a week or have fish that will move it. Its dense and can get kinda nasty over time even with weekly maintenance.

Nickguy5467
You can have potential problems from anaerobic gases building up in the substrate if you aren't careful and move the substrate at least once a week or have fish that will move it. Its dense and can get kinda nasty over time even with weekly maintenance.
I suppose I can take some out as its still empty. what would you recommend ?

Goldiemom
I’d stay at no more than 2”.

Mcasella
2" is great if you are wanting plants to be easily planted. lower than that is more for easy maintenance but will still hold plants.

Nickguy5467
yeah that's what I was aiming for. but ended up using too much. guess ill take some out find some other way to block the bottom of the background.

Mcasella
You can angle the sand so it is higher in the back to cover the writing, or trim the background bit off and scoot the background down slightly.

Nickguy5467
You can angle the sand so it is higher in the back to cover the writing, or trim the background bit off and scoot the background down slightly.
I was thinking of making hilly type things in the back to do just that. as far as fish that will move it. I have 3 full grown cory fish. though I doubt they will enjoy getting a poison fart in the face.

the glass starts at the bottom of the black rI'm right? I measured it from the bottom in the pic . still trying to even out the sand, it relatively is but it would be easier to do with a bit of water in there. anyway what do you think? and sorry about my reflection of me and my phone and I'm pretty sure I killed any chance of anything growing in there >.>

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_215655.jpg
    IMG_20180824_215655.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 114
smee82
You don't need to worry about taking any substrate out if you plan on live plants. Also add MTS and blackworms if you can get any to your substrate.

Nickguy5467
You don't need to worry about taking any substrate out if you plan on live plants. Also add MTS and blackworms if you can get any to your substrate.
well I put supposed dwarf hair grass in the sand. but I did it at different levels. sadly I couldnt get all of the water out of the bucket after I washed the sand. so there are little puddles in there with floating seeds . most of the seeds are at mid level of the substrate some may be a little lower. I don't know if I killed that chance by moving the substrate around. which I shouldnt have done anyway. I'm weird and impulsive. I'm assuming 1" depth for seeds are good? but some may be lower or higher than that. especially now most likely. that's probably the only thing I will try to grow. if it even grows . after I get the tank started I will buy some swords and what not.

Mcasella
It is about less 1/4 of an inch up from the edge of the rI'm for where the glass starts, so you have just under 2.5 inches. I don't know how many pictures I've taken that have white legs in them so I know how you feel (literally dodging out of the light so there isn't a reflection, taking pictures around the corner).
I would not add MTS because I personally hate them (they breed too much and will eat soft leaved plants very quickly), I had to remove all the sand out of one tank and even bleached that sand and they didn't die from the bleaching (which was stronger than normal at 1/9 parts bleach/water). There are other sand sifters that don't reproduce quickly and are large. Rabbit snails look nice and I know they burrow, they get a little larger and are adorable (have three of the golden ones right now - and when my mother saw them she went aw instead of making a face at them lol).
Swords are a good rooter, but that tanks time, some faster rooting ones that don't look bad are water wisteria, dwarf lily, and aponogeton. The dwarf lily can grow very fast and all the way to the surface.

Rockhaus
I was thinking of making hilly type things in the back to do just that. as far as fish that will move it. I have 3 full grown cory fish. though I doubt they will enjoy getting a poison fart in the face.
I just did this 2 days ago, slopes down to the left.

Attachments

• 4CF65BF7-B76B-4B40-8777-8A389372D339.jpeg
    4CF65BF7-B76B-4B40-8777-8A389372D339.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 55D3EE18-8395-4F3B-A281-3FB63EB4E03B.jpeg
    55D3EE18-8395-4F3B-A281-3FB63EB4E03B.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 124
Goldiemom
It is about less 1/4 of an inch up from the edge of the rI'm for where the glass starts, so you have just under 2.5 inches. I don't know how many pictures I've taken that have white legs in them so I know how you feel (literally dodging out of the light so there isn't a reflection, taking pictures around the corner).
I would not add MTS because I personally hate them (they breed too much and will eat soft leaved plants very quickly), I had to remove all the sand out of one tank and even bleached that sand and they didn't die from the bleaching (which was stronger than normal at 1/9 parts bleach/water). There are other sand sifters that don't reproduce quickly and are large. Rabbit snails look nice and I know they burrow, they get a little larger and are adorable (have three of the golden ones right now - and when my mother saw them she went aw instead of making a face at them lol).
Swords are a good rooter, but that tanks time, some faster rooting ones that don't look bad are water wisteria, dwarf lily, and aponogeton. The dwarf lily can grow very fast and all the way to the surface.
I agree! I was told to get MTS and only had 5 to begin with. Several months later I probably have 30-50. I was told they bred slower and not as often. Ha!

Nickguy5467
under 2.5 should be fine right?

Mcasella
Should be.

Nickguy5467
I just did this 2 days ago, slopes down to the left.
wish I had thought of mixing colored sand. there's a patch of white sand in my 20 gallon that was already set up that way when I got it. I should have used some of it

Rockhaus
wish I had thought of mixing colored sand. there's a patch of white sand in my 20 gallon that was already set up that way when I got it. I should have used some of it
Starting to get a lot of black in the white sand now lol. **** Cory’s stirring it up on purpose I can see them lol

Nickguy5467
Starting to get a lot of black in the white sand now lol. Cory’s stirring it up on purpose I can see them lol
taller rocks maybe help? just an idea

Kay 240
About the gas buildup, poke something in the sand all around the tank when doing water changes/maintenance. I use a bamboo skewer, the long ones, just a suggestion. That's what I do for my dirted tank topped with sand.

Nickguy5467
About the gas buildup, poke something in the sand all around the tank when doing water changes/maintenance. I use a bamboo skewer, the long ones, just a suggestion. That's what I do for my dirted tank topped with sand.
I try to do that but I couldnt really find a good tool to use for it. ill check that out

x8xspazx8x
I was aiming for 2" of sand substrate but I ended up with 3". is that too much? I also wanted it to cover the white info part of the background so at least that part worked

37 gallon tank not filled or stocked yet

edit: I was told 2 20lb bags of sand would be 2 inches in the tanks 30L 12W . I should have measured the bottom of the glass up 2 inches. sadly I don't think lik that.

I like the look of your sand! What kind is it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MigRic
Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views