Is 3 corys enough? 60 Gallon Tank

1. josephdurnal

josephdurnal Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I orignally bought 5 corys but two died a while back. The 3 seem to be happy. Once I get my tank stable again I will be focusing on small fish and I'm wondering if I should get a few more corys.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    depends on the size of your tank joe and the fish you already have...although cories do best in larger schools, 2 or more do fine as well..some members even have a single one...I Hope things look up soon for you and your fin babies!

3. OP
    OP
    josephdurnal

josephdurnal Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'll keep just the 3 corys. They seem very happy as they are. They are often playful, generally eat and rest together too.

J

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    awesome...i had 3 for a long time...and now i have a ton..but they only seem to really be close when its eating time LOL ...the older cories get, they dont mind being off on their own now and then :)

5. Akeath

Akeath Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have Panda Cories, and have found that more is definitely better with them. I don't see them around the tank as often if there are 4 or less of them, they hide more. They also tend to hang out with just one buddy if there are fewer of them, when there are more they travel as a large playful group as opposed to a more sedate couple. And they play with each other more if they have a bigger school, are more active, and generally seem happier. So if you can make room for more of them, I definitely recommend that. They are, after all, schooling fish.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +236
    In a 60 gallon, I would do 10-12 corys.

I think 3 would get lost in all that water.

7. clownloachy

clownloachy Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    corys are alot less shy if you keep them in large groups, and its funner to watch them swim around the tank together scavenging for leftovers when their in a big group. in the wild they travel in schools up to a thousand!

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +75
    In your 60 gallon, I think you could easily have 10. :)