Is 200 Watt Heater For 15 Gallon Too Much?

Rack
Is this too much? There is a switch to control which temperature I want.

Fanatic
I'd assume that'd be a little bit overkill.
But, I would look for a smaller one.

Rack
Fanatic said:
I'd assume that'd be a little bit overkill.
But, I would look for a smaller one.
As long as I can select which temperature, what's the issue with that? I don't understand the difference between a 100 watts and a 200 watts if both have temperature control, sorry if I sound ignorant, I don't want to boil my fish.

John14:6
A 200w is definitely overkill for a 15g. A 200w is more for a 55 gallon or 75g. Depending where you live you might be able to get away with a 50w. But if its a brand you trust I think the heater should be fine. Happy fishkeeping-Adrian

Rack
John14:6 said:
A 200w is definitely overkill for a 15g. A 200w is more for a 55 gallon or 75g. Depending where you live you might be able to get away with a 50w. But if its a brand you trust I think the heater should be fine. Happy fishkeeping-Adrian
Should I buy a 50w or a 100w?

Rack said:
Should I buy a 50w or a 100w?
I would go 50w but its really your choice.

Awaken_Riceball_
75W is the most efficient for a 15 gallon aquarium. It is important to use a heater for the appropriate size aquarium to reduce the risk of overheating as well as avoid creating a stressful rapid temperature change environment for your aquatic livestock. A heater that is appropriately size means that the temperature will increase to the set temperature at a steady pace, if the heater malfunctions, then you will have more time to catch it before you fry your livestock, and it will maintain a steady temperature usually within a +/- 0.5 - 1 degrees difference depending on a quality brand.

I hope this helps!

OnTheFly
Rack said:
As long as I can select which temperature, what's the issue with that? I don't understand the difference between a 100 watts and a 200 watts if both have temperature control, sorry if I sound ignorant, I don't want to boil my fish.
It's a fair question. Gradual heating is best. Most heaters fail eventually, and often it is in the "always on" position. IMO you're better off if your heater is not capable of fully cooking the tank in an hour or so when you aren't looking.

fissh
A larger heater doesn't work as hard, and should last longer. Any heater that's worth having will turn on with a 1 degree drop. So instead of taking 10 minutes too came back to temp it only takes 5 minutes. The only real problem is if it sticks on! It will cook your fish in 2 hours instead of 4. The electronic heaters (38 of them) I use check them self 100 times a minute, and if they break, it's in an off position! A 200w is over kill mainly because of it's physical size. The smallest heater I'd use is a 100 watt, the largest I would use is a 150 watt, that would be serious over kill.

fissh said:
The smallest heater I'd use is a 100 watt, the largest I would use is a 150 watt, that would be serious over kill.
I have a Eheim Jager 150w in my 29 gallon and that thing is definitely overkill(I bought the 150w because it was cheaper then the 100w). Imo there is no reason to buy a big heater for a 15 gallon because a 50w or a 75w would be fine. Happy fishkeeping-Adrian

fissh
John14:6 said:
I have a Eheim Jager 150w in my 29 gallon and that thing is definitely overkill(I bought the 150w because it was cheaper then the 100w). Imo there is no reason to buy a big heater for a 15 gallon because a 50w or a 75w would be fine. Happy fishkeeping-Adrian
There's no reason not to buy a bigger heater. The cost to heat the water if about the same, and if your house heater goes out you can still keep the tank warm.

fissh said:
There's no reason not to buy a bigger heater. The cost to heat the water if about the same, and if your house heater goes out you can still keep the tank warm.
fissh I see what you are saying but if you have a big heater it could heat the water up too fast(probably not a problem with the better quality heaters). Also you don't really need a heater during summer and unless you need to heat the tank to 80+ degrees or you keep your house below 60 degrees you don't need that big of a heater. A 100w is the highest I would go.

Rack
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
75W is the most efficient for a 15 gallon aquarium. It is important to use a heater for the appropriate size aquarium to reduce the risk of overheating as well as avoid creating a stressful rapid temperature change environment for your aquatic livestock. A heater that is appropriately size means that the temperature will increase to the set temperature at a steady pace, if the heater malfunctions, then you will have more time to catch it before you fry your livestock, and it will maintain a steady temperature usually within a +/- 0.5 - 1 degrees difference depending on a quality brand.

I hope this helps!
There are no 75W heater available, only 50W and 100W, if I go with the 50W will it be effective in the winter where temperature usually goes between 13 Celsius to 17 Celsius or it will burn out ?

Jayd976
definitely overkill.

Awaken_Riceball_
Rack said:
There are no 75W heater available, only 50W and 100W, if I go with the 50W will it be effective in the winter where temperature usually goes between 13 Celsius to 17 Celsius or it will burn out ?
Interesting and there are 75w heaters made like:

Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater, 75 watt (https://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-Neo-Therm-Heater-watt/dp/B008AGWZOK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498785270&sr=8-3&keywords=75w+aquarium+heater)

EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater, 75 watt )

To answer your other questions, 50W should be efficient enough if you are trying to hit the aquarium between 24.5 C - 26.5 C. A 100 watt heater might be to big for a 15 gallon aquarium especially if the heater is suppose to be submerged which may lead to cracking if part of it is exposed to air. Just remember that the warranty that comes with the heater you choose is a good determination on how long the heater should last. In addition, if the heater is well kept and maintained, then it can last vastly longer than the warranty period. Lastly, put the heater near the filter so that it can circulate the heat throughout the aquarium more efficiently.

Rack
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Interesting and there are 75w heaters made like:

Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater, 75 watt (https://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-Neo-Therm-Heater-watt/dp/B008AGWZOK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498785270&sr=8-3&keywords=75w+aquarium+heater)

EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater, 75 watt )

To answer your other questions, 50W should be efficient enough if you are trying to hit the aquarium between 24.5 C - 26.5 C. A 100 watt heater might be to big for a 15 gallon aquarium especially if the heater is suppose to be submerged which may lead to cracking if part of it is exposed to air. Just remember that the warranty that comes with the heater you choose is a good determination on how long the heater should last. In addition, if the heater is well kept and maintained, then it can last vastly longer than the warranty period. Lastly, put the heater near the filter so that it can circulate the heat throughout the aquarium more efficiently.
Thanks for your help, I'll go with the 50w then

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom