Is 2 Weeks Long Enough To Cycle Sponge Filter?

motherofbettas
I've had my sponge filter running in my cycled 10 gallon tank for 2 weeks now along with my other filter. I'm wondering if I can officially retire my other filter now? Or should I wait another week?

Fashooga
I would wait another 2 weeks to be safe. You don't want to pull it out to early and find out that it's not quite ready.

Seasoldier
Can you put some of the filter media from the old filter in to the new? That would seed it quicker.

WTFish?
Is your old filter a cartridge type? I ran mine together for 2-3 weeks and then I dumped the carbon out of the old cartridge and tied it around my sponge for another few weeks before taking it out permanently.

Fanatic
I usually wait a month, and it's fully seeded

Junne
Have you tested your water? That would be a sure way to know

I have cut a piece of seeded sponge from my old tank and put that in my new tank's filter. And I replaced the missing piece in old tank with new piece of sponge.

Fashooga
Can you put some of the filter media from the old filter in to the new? That would seed it quicker.
Sounds like the OP wants to get rid of the HOB filter she has...

motherofbettas
Sounds like the OP wants to get rid of the HOB filter she has...

Yes! That’s the plan! I’m content to wait a big longer to be absolutely sure though! I don’t want to damage my cycle in anyway Thanks everyone for your responses! I’ll wait another two weeks!

MissRuthless
Stuffing the bulk of the media from the HOB into the sponge filter would be pretty much the same as running it another two weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Manggala
  • Question
Replies
Views
Skrabbitskrabbit
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies