Is 2 Nerites in a divided tank a mistake?

AnimeStar4

So i have a divided 5 gallon tank with 2 bettas. today i got 2 small nerite snails and im worried it will overstock the tank. should i see if the store will take the snails back or will i be ok if I check water levels regularly?

Nickguy5467

you might want to reword your titles to something more specific like "was such and such a mistake?" etc so if people see something they know they can address. they are more inclined to click and respond to it. i would but i dont know anything about bettas

Upvote 0

Fisch

Petco has a sale, may be you would be able to upgrade to a 10gl, then the stocking would not be a problem. Or get a second 5 gallon :)

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

you might want to reword your titles to something more specific like "was such and such a mistake?" etc so if people see something they know they can address. they are more inclined to click and respond to it. i would but i dont know anything about bettas

is there a way to edit the title after posting?
Petco has a sale, may be you would be able to upgrade to a 10gl, then the stocking would not be a problem. Or get a second 5 gallon :)

i have a 10 gallon already with 5 guppies and a mystery snail, if I have an issue would I be able to move them to that tank? I really dont want to go through setting up another tank and my parents might be mad if I did.

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

not that im aware of. but im sure its fine for now. we can just summon mattgirl and or StarGirl and see what happens

Upvote 0

Fisch

i have a 10 gallon already with 5 guppies and a mystery snail, if I have an issue would I be able to move them to that tank? I really dont want to go through setting up another tank and my parents might be mad if I did.
That is understandable. Are the Betta since a long time in the tank and the tank is cycled with regular water changes? Are they both doing well? Are the parameters good? Nerites are big poopers, so you may want to return them to protect your Bettas.

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

That is understandable. Are the Betta since a long time in the tank and the tank is cycled with regular water changes? Are they both doing well? Are the parameters good? Nerites are big poopers, so you may want to return them to protect your Bettas.

the tank is about a month old maybe a little more and has been cycled for about a week or two. the bettas are just as old. if returning the nerites is my best option im up for it if the store will take them back. I didnt think about it before hand bit now im worried. I havent had issues with the bettas until just recently one of them has been acting up but after not feeding him this morning he already seems to be doing better.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

The snails won’t overstock your tank because it already is.... 5 gallons is the bare minimum for a single betta, so now they are only getting 2.5 gallons each

Upvote 0

Rtessy

the tank is about a month old maybe a little more and has been cycled for about a week or two. the bettas are just as old. if returning the nerites is my best option im up for it if the store will take them back. I didnt think about it before hand bit now im worried. I havent had issues with the bettas until just recently one of them has been acting up but after not feeding him this morning he already seems to be doing better.
From my experience, nerites won't overstock the tank, they have a pretty low bioload. 2 bettas is realllly pushing it, but if you keep up with large weekly water changes you'll be fine. Keep in mind that snails die very quickly at 0.25ppm ammonia or nitrite, and can't handle nitrates over 20ppm. In terms of moving the snails, sounds like they'd fare well in the 10g if the bettas get aggressive.

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

From my experience, nerites won't overstock the tank, they have a pretty low bioload. 2 bettas is realllly pushing it, but if you keep up with large weekly water changes you'll be fine. Keep in mind that snails die very quickly at 0.25ppm ammonia or nitrite, and can't handle nitrates over 20ppm. In terms of moving the snails, sounds like they'd fare well in the 10g if the bettas get aggressive.

my worry is both breeding and possibly issues with my mystery snail the 2 snails I just got are are only about the size of a dime and my mystery is the size of a golf ball

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

my worry is both breeding and possibly issues with my mystery snail the 2 snails I just got are are only about the size of a dime and my mystery is the size of a golf ball
Nerites don’t breed in freshwater. The females do lay eggs but they don’t hatch. And the mystery snail is in the same tank? Have you recently checked your water parameters because mystery snails are heavy waste producers

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

The snails won’t overstock your tank because it already is.... 5 gallons is the bare minimum for a single betta, so now they are only getting 2.5 gallons each
I got stuck with the two bettas and needed a solution. thats what I came up with. a lot of the tanks I looked at online were a gallon or less for a betta and I didnt want to do that. i also wasnt about to set up a second 10 gallon tank and unfortunately neither betta would work in my existing 10 gallon
Nerites don’t breed in freshwater. The females do lay eggs but they don’t hatch. And the mystery snail is in the same tank? Have you recently checked your water parameters because mystery snails are heavy waste producers
my mystery snail is in the 10 gallon and the nerites are currently in the 5.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I think your biggest issue will be the cycling aspect, and it would be my biggest worry right now. One week cycling does not establish a sufficient bb colony that can handle the Betta produced Ammonia in the water.
Do you have a heater and a filter in that little tank? Do you keep track of the water parameters and do multiple water changes per week? Are you conditioning your water during water changes? Otherwise your Bettas are at the cusp of getting sick. Returning the Nerites is a must, not a choice.

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

I think your biggest issue will be the cycling aspect, and it would be my biggest worry right now. One week cycling does not establish a sufficient bb colony that can handle the Betta produced Ammonia in the water.
Do you have a heater and a filter in that little tank? Do you keep track of the water parameters and do multiple water changes per week? Are you conditioning your water during water changes? Otherwise your Bettas are at the cusp of getting sick. Returning the Nerites is a must, not a choice.

I check my water every few days, do water changes about weekly but havent needed to change the water in a while. there is both a filter and heater in the tank and I do use a conditioner when performing water changes. the tank was also seeded with bacteria from the 10 gallon as well as bottled bacteria. if returning the nerites is what I have to do I am more than open to it which is why I asked the question. also when I said its been cycled for a week or two I mean I have been reading 0s. it took about 2-3 weeks to get to that point.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

You could just move the 2 nerites into the 10 gallon with a mystery snail and 5 guppies. It may be a bit much but regular water changes will handle the Nitrates, and the beneficial bacteria will grow more. You can put some live plants to if you don’t have any.

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

You could just move the 2 nerites into the 10 gallon with a mystery snail and 5 guppies. It may be a bit much but regular water changes will handle the Nitrates, and the beneficial bacteria will grow more. You can put some live plants to if you don’t have any.

thank you, will it be an issue that the 10 gallon doesnt have a secure lid? I have noticed these guys climb out of water more than the mystery snail does, my mystery snail usually just climbs the the water level and then drops to the bottom and doesnt leave the water

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

What do you mean by doesn’t have a secure lid? Does it have a lid at all? If it has a lid with no openings that could easily fit the whole snail shell through, you should be fine. You don’t really have to worry about them figuring out how to open the feeding hole or anything.

Upvote 0

AnimeStar4

What do you mean by doesn’t have a secure lid? Does it have a lid at all? If it has a lid with no openings that could easily fit the whole snail shell through, you should be fine. You don’t really have to worry about them figuring out how to open the feeding hole or anything.

the 10 gallon is a hex and the lid is plexiglass. and has an opening on one side about 3 inches and one of the other sides doesnt stay flat

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Poll
40 Gallon Tank 44 gallon tank stocking
Replies
Views