Is 10 Gallon Tank Big Enough For Harlequin Rasboras?

ap4lmtree
I bought 6 harlequin rasboras, including one sick one, as that was all petsmart had at the time.

Now, I am trying to feed them, but they don't go to my flakes when I put them in the aquarium nor when I put NLS .5mm pellets

what do they eat ?

will they eat freeze dried brine shrimp?

qchris87
How long have you had them? It can take some time before they're ready to eat.

ap4lmtree
I just got them tonight. I put them with my betta in a 10 gallon, I hope they won't be scared of him, he doesn't pay them any mind nor attention.

You think I need a couple taller plants?

thanks

Sgwx2Cy.jpg

DoubleDutch
I just got them tonight. I put them with my betta in a 10 gallon, I hope they won't be scared of him, he doesn't pay them any mind nor attention.

You think I need a couple taller plants?

thanks

View attachment 362901
Let them adapt a bit.

ap4lmtree
Are harlequin rasboras okay for a 10 gallon? I currently have 9 of them and it is with a female young betta. I am concerned that they are too big of a fish for my 10 gallon.

You think another type of fish, ember tetras are better than this fish or are harlequin rasboras better

Hi. I have 9 harlequin rasboras in a 10 gallon with a young female betta.

However, I am concerned that they might get too big and maybe I should take them back and mail order ember tetras instead.

Why do you like Harlequin Rasboras more than other fish, such as tetras? For instance, harlequin rasboras are smarter than ember tetras maybe?

Thanks

JenC
I wanted harlequin rasboras because I like their coloring and schooling activity but I also have a 10g, which is too small for them to school properly, so I went with ember tetras and chilI rasboras. I like them both a lot. I don't get the deep coloration on the embers with my pH up at 7.5 but they're still a nice-looking light copper/gold. The red hue of the rasboras add a nice touch of color.

Susiefoo
I have 10 in my 25 gallon tank as the main middle/top swimming school. They are peaceful, beautiful and have grown up in my tank from little plain juveniles into gorgeous bronze adults. They are hardy (haven't lost a single one) and easy to keep. They are a bit more unusual (in the UK at least) than tetras which everyone has. They look great against my plants.

They are admittedly not the most exciting in behaviour. They swim around sedately and show loose schooling behaviour, but not the activity and fun games of my corydoras or white cloud mountain minnows (in a separate tank) for example. I have not noticed them being particularly smart, sorry But then I don't imagine tetras are either.

I deliberately chose them because I wanted something that got a bit larger to fill up the space, but they are by no means massive. Look up "large harlequin rasboras" on YouTube, there is a good video of adults which are about the same size as mine. They are bigger top to bottom but still pretty flat and have a light bioload.

Personally I think they would do OK in a 10 gallon if kept as species only, but not sure about the combination with the betta. I guess it depends on the temperament of the betta.

ap4lmtree
I think harlequin rasboras have more individualistic personalities than tetras maybe? Tetras all look the same too while harlequin rasboras you can tell the specimens apart kind of?

I currently have 9 small ones in a 10 gallon with a female betta, but I am worried that they will get too big and I don't know what to do.

CarolinaFan
I would get either the betta or the rasboras out. If you get rid of the betta, dwindle the pack down to 6

ap4lmtree
I would get either the betta or the rasboras out. If you get rid of the betta, dwindle the pack down to 6

If that is the case, then Ill look into returning them all to petsmart and mail order ember tetras. =(

CarolinaFan
Is the tank cycled?

ap4lmtree
CarolinaFan
Petco has the dollar per gallon sale right now, so you could return the rasboras and trade them for any of these fish: Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Just use some media from the old tank if you feel like setting up a new one

ap4lmtree
I have only one out of the two receipts for my Harlequin Rasboras, so I have to call them if they will accept them without a paper receipt. However, I also have to think about that I could probably tank care of them better in my 10 gallon than petsmart and a potential future buyer who would probably buy them for a tank 10 gallons or less.

Maybe I could just plan to upgrade this tank or so in the future; however, I already have a 20 gallon high for my kuhlI loaches and other betta.

You really think I should take them all back and mail order ember tetras?

david1978
I wouldn't do even embers and a betta in a ten. A twenty gallon tank is recommended to have other fish with a betta.

el337
I would move the rasboras out.

ap4lmtree
I don't know what to do. I have a female betta in this 10 gallon, so it could be a community tank. otherwise, I am wasting this tank and might as well put the female in a 5.5 gallon

Sagar Joshi
What are your tank dimensions?

ap4lmtree
What are your tank dimensions?

10 gallon is 20 inch x 10 inch ground and 12 inch high

Sagar Joshi
With that tank dimensions and aquaclear 30 filter I think you are about 85-90% stocking capacity. I would not have stocking capacity more than 75%

I would remove rasboras to at least 20g

ap4lmtree
I've been confused about this issue all day. Should I get a 20 gallon high so I could have a second community tank with a betta since you guys are ultra conservative with aquarium stocking; hence, aquarium hobby fun runs dry unless you spend lots and have lots of estate living space and ultra big tanks?

I am not even sure why 10 gallons and under 10 gallons exists according to your guys views.

Maybe I should put all my bettas back in cups because they are isolationists and extremely aggressive. Maybe I should complain to PETA with regard to their betta fish are not "solitary confinement" fish article at Betta Fish

Dear PETA,

You are absolutely wrong, there is a strong pathos and ethos at fishlore.com that bettas ARE "solitarty confinement" fish UNLESS you have a 20 gallon or bigger. Your organization does not care about bettas as such. Fishlore.com general ethos and pathos about betta fish is ABSOLUTE and etched in stone as the ABSOLUTE truth. More so, when one fishlore member says this etched in stone ABSOLUTE TRUTH, then other members must eventually adopt such EXACT SAME perspective because it is GROUP THINK making ALL THINK the exact same and forming ONE SINGLE cohesive perspective on EVERYTHING. SHAME on your organization for saying bettas are not "solitary confinement" fish. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

Sagar Joshi
I reason I asked for dimensions is to figure out how much space you have in your tank. You filtration is good enough for the bioload these fish generate. But as your rasboras grow your tank will get crowded. For current 10 gallon tank I think you can keep your betta and 5 rasboras without any issues.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views