1 Gallon Tank Is 1 Gallon ok for betta?

christiangrenier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, have had many bettas all in big tanks (3, 5, 2 gallons), but just got a new betta (Dumbo Crowntail) in a one gallon. Has a filter and decorations. Seems fine in the tank but is a one gallon okay? Many people say it isnt.. He is in this tank because of earthquakes.

Thank you,

Christian

57AB8F7D-F83A-470A-8594-D59E01810768.jpeg

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you could get a 2 or 2.5 gallon it would be better. Petco sells empty tanks, so I'd recommend getting a 2.5 and simply moving your equipment over to that tank (you might need some more substrate though). Some here say that 5 gallons are minimum, but I'd use a 2.5 as a minimum if the betta isn't short-finned.

christiangrenier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Doesn’t seem temporary... We also have a Waterfall 1.8 Gallon... but it is round and people say to not use round due to fish ‘not knowing where to stop swimming’, so we keep ours in a square-dome shaped tanks.... Is it fine though keeping him in it forever?

Thanks,

Christian

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not an expert on Bettas but from what I've read I wouldn't go any smaller than 2.5. Honestly I recommended a relative of mine who has a Betta get a 5 gallon tank for it.

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Betta’s are a very complex and misunderstood fish. Betta’s when givin the chance are very active and LOVE exploring. A one gallon tank would like an adult living in a closet, will you survive? Yes. Will you be thriving and happy? No. You can keep a Betta in a one gallon tank, it’s cruel and unnecessary. They need space and they need to be able to exercise and keep their brain entertained. The absolute minimum I would recommend to keep a Betta happy and thriving would be a 5 gallon tank. This would allow enough room for many things to explore and for the fish to be happy and healthy but not take up a lot of space in your house. If you are for some reason unable to provide him a larger tank I would recommend re homing him to Someone who can.

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Really in the wild they have territories of at least 30 gallons. I like to see them in five gallons and up but you can keep them alive in 2.5 gallon tanks. I would only use 1 gallons for transporting and quarantining. Hope this helps.

christiangrenier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, would a round 1.8 be better or should I get another tank? Doesn’t seem like I can get another..... I do treat him amazingly though.. and am anthropomorphic with all of my fish.

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, would a round 1.8 be better or should I get another tank? Doesn’t seem like I can get another..... I do treat him amazingly though.. and am anthropomorphic with all of my fish.
A 1.8 gallon would really make no difference. If you are able to get a 5 gallon that is the recommended minimum for betta’s and sometimes a 10 gallon is cheaper. But I would say there is no point in putting him in a 1.8 gallon it’s just going to put him through unnecessary stress trying to move and acclimate him

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 1 gallon tank is a very depressing thing to look at IMO; imagine how it feels to the poor betta. I’ve been guilty of keeping a betta in a 1 gallon, but also guilty of keeping a betta in a 29 gallon. The difference between a betta in a 1 gallon, or even a 2.5 gallon, compared to 10+ gallons, is mind-blowing. They’re literally just different fish in larger tanks. They’re active, inquisitive, and want to almost constantly explore every inch of their tank. My betta would even go to the bottom of my 19 inch tall 29 gallon to explore, which some believe a betta wouldn’t do. They love their space, and are just about the happiest creatures you’ve ever seen, when they get it.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, 1.8 gallons is almost double the water he has right now... I’d for sure move him. And then look for at least a 2.5 gallon tank to upgrade to. They’re hardly much larger than the 1.8 gallon so I don’t see why it would be more of a problem during earthquakes

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd say upgrade when you can, but he can survive in there for the time being. 2.5 gal is my minimum, especially for the bigger fins. The bigger the fins, the more weight, so the more they will rest. I think crowntails are a kind of in between so anything 2.5 and above would work as long as there is stuff for them to rest on. I've never really considered their wild habitats cause nowadays all if not nearly all "cup" bettas are captive bred. They don't know what the wild is.

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta loves his 5 gallon. So much space for exploring and way more room for decor. Personally, a 1 gallon is tiny. It's depressing. it's boring.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd say upgrade when you can, but he can survive in there for the time being. 2.5 gal is my minimum, especially for the bigger fins. The bigger the fins, the more weight, so the more they will rest. I think crowntails are a kind of in between so anything 2.5 and above would work as long as there is stuff for them to rest on. I've never really considered their wild habitats cause nowadays all if not nearly all "cup" bettas are captive bred. They don't know what the wild is.
My crowntail does fabulous in a heavily planted 10 gallon. He is very active for a long finned betta though. I personally wouldn’t put a betta in anything below a 5 gallon but if the best OP can do is 2.5 then that will work too.

Kymopoleia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 3.5 just because I like to see him swim around, and I like decorations.
But I had my first fish in a .25 gallon bowl for ~4 years, and he was super active, lived to ~5.5 and he was from PetSmart.
I think the bigger the better because it provides more enrichment for the fish and it is easier for you to keep clean, which I think is the bigger issue.
But, if you provide your fish with things to keep him occupied and give him exercise, like a cave, plants, a ping pong ball, etc. he will be able to thrive in a smaller tank.
Just make sure to change the water frequently!!

has anyone tried this tank?

it looks great, just could be a little bigger.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
has anyone tried this tank?

it looks great, just could be a little bigger.
There is a video on YouTube of a fish youtuber trying this out and reviewing it. She did not approve. I’ll try to look for it and link it. Basically it’s of course too small but the poop stays in the gravel and never comes out with the dirty water when you add the clean water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom