Irridescent Shark

lazo7

Hey guys. Help me decide on what action should I take. I have an Irridescent shark on my 29 Gallon tank with 3 clown loaches, 4 corys, 2 pleco, 3 tiger barbs, 2 golden ram, 2 gourami, 1 glow tetra and 6 zebra danios. Should I return him or keep him? He/she is about 3 inches long with the tail included. He/she never bother any other fish and keeps to itself. Is not erratic or threatening other the other fish. I was told that he/she will get bigger and eat/attack the other fish. What should I do??? Thank you!
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1427782039.883217.jpg

Coradee

Iridescent sharks can get to around 4 foot in the right conditions so yes I'd return it, I'd also rehome the clown loaches unless you're looking to ugrade as they get too big for your current tank too.
You could also do with upping the numbers of the schooling fish you have

lazo7

I'm probably going to get a bigger tank by years end as I move out of my apartment and into a home. I'm leaning on returning the shark. I would love for more input from others.

FullyCaffeinated

Definatly get rid of the shark asap. They are nice when they're babies but IMO should be outlawed from the aquarium hobby or at least restricted to those with thousand gallon tanks.

Up the number of barbs, corries, and tetra. They should all be in schools of 6 or more.

Rehome the loaches asap. Get more when you have the right sized tank.

What kind of pleco? Common plecos get over a foot long in the right conditions. They'll need a 100G plus tank.

What size tank are you planing on getting? With the schooling fish you currently have you'll be able to make a very nice, peaceful community of schooling fish plus one larger peaceful fish.

Good luck!

lazo7

At least a 55 gallon I would say. How long does it take for loaches to grow? Yea the shark is being returned tomorrow for store credit. Its not meant for this community tank. Whats the reason of rehoming the loaches? Is it size?

lazo7

FullyCaffeinated

lazo7 said:
At least a 55 gallon I would say. How long does it take for loaches to grow? Yea the shark is being returned tomorrow for store credit. Its not meant for this community tank. Whats the reason of rehoming the loaches? Is it size?
The clown loaches will get to be nearly a foot and should be in a small school. So a 100G minimum is necessary. And the two plecos will need to be in a 100G min tank as well because they will quickly get to be over a foot long.

FullyCaffeinated

Are they both zebra? Beautiful pleco!

And are you sure about the ID? Zebras are sold for a few hundred dollars and look a bit different.

You might want to try getting its ID verified so you can get its max size.

lazo7

I see. Lol not a smart move getting these plecos.

lazo7

One is zebra and the other I'm assuming is a spotted pleco if that's a name

lazo7

Geez! A foot for the loaches? That's insane.

Cacret

Id rehome the shark. Its way to big fir that tank. I guess u must rehome the loaches as well

FullyCaffeinated

lazo7 said:
Geez! A foot for the loaches? That's insane.
Yeah it'll take a few months but a well fed, well loved clown loach is a monster fish.

lazo7

The shark is definitely being returned to the store tomorrow! The clown loaches I will leave alone for a few months. When I graduate to a new tank then it should be fine and a good timing. I don't have room for another tank as of now. Thanks for the input in here. You guys are helpful as always.

lazo7

The Shark was returned with no problems. Now I have to get a couple mid level tank mates. Any ideas?

FullyCaffeinated

lazo7 said:
The Shark was returned with no problems. Now I have to get a couple mid level tank mates. Any ideas?
Good to hear! I would up the number of schooling fish for now. And wait until you upgrade to get anything else.

Rshore

lazo7 said:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1427786642.681238.jpg

The other pleco hides alot. Its a zebra pleco.
I would be quite interested in seein some shots of the zebra as one member said they gof hundreds of dollars ( my.lfs had one priced at 499$) as for the other pleco not convinced its pterygoplichthys sp. would like to seemore pictures of it as well

just being a nosey pleco lover

Latest threads

Top Bottom