Iridscent Shark Isnt Eating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SaveThemAll1, Mar 8, 2019.

1. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1Valued MemberMember

Hi ive rescued a small shark about 13 cm from a very bad comditions{10 L tank no WC and so..} 6 days ago.hes in a 50 L quarnteen with 1000L/h filter tmp 25 c. he isnt eating since i got him and i know that he ate just befor i took him.I did a very slow water adjustment adding water from the tank to the bucket for an hour and only then moved him to the new tank, but when i moved him he swam like crazy and flipped over . i trned off the light in the room and moved back. after a few minutes he flipped back and strated to swim normally again.Im not noticing any sighns on his body , anf he is active and swimming. the only thing i see is redness on his body which look to me coming from his color being thin and pale. i though that its beacuse hes a baby but noe i don konw..what do you think?

2. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

3. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Chances are the nitrates were sky high, and the pH had possibly crashed (did you test them?). Moving a fish from very high nitrates to low nitrates can be very dangerous and ideally needs to be done over a few days, or even a week or two. The sudden change can produce shock that can take a few weeks to show, even if you took an hour or two to mix them.

4. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

o,o,5
    temp is 25 C
    i gave him clownfish food, pleco food, meaty ciclid food, veggie ciclid food, goldfish food and about ahen he will grow .. idk taking him to the store isnt an option beacause that he will get sold agian to another genius who will put him in 10L tank... i have another 2 big ones in 2 meters tank which is getting small for them , if there will be anyone with a huge tank that will want to adopt the i will happily give them

teated them in the previuos tank? no your making a good point with the sudden change.. assuming this is the case what do you reccomend? should i just wait or shuld i do something?

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if he's shocked, which is like. Try and leave him alone for today and turn off the lights and try feeding again tomorrow. Let us know how he does.
    And two meters is awesome, way better than most!

6. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

2 meters is not awaome at all for a fish that goes to 1.5 meters ,lenght, those fishes shouldnt be traded at all... its inasne to put a fish like this in a tank at the first place..

7. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Oh I know, believe me, but I've seen them crammed into teeny little 0.25 meter tanks, get spooked, and go right through the glass :(
    Haven't actually seen one in a tank as large as 2 meters, so you're still doing better than, well, everyone.

8. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

He still isnt eating.. its been 10 days.. i tried to medicate with furanol the treatment has finished yesterday.

9. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Do you have any garlic? Any chance you can get worms from a pesticide free area? Try mashing some garlic and getting the food soaked in garlic juice or try feeding some live earthworms (rinse them a bit beforehand though)

10. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

i have garlic guard and i did it with the food it didnt work

11. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Dang. Any chance of getting some earthworms? Do any pet stores around you have mealworms or wax worms? Should be relatively cheap, they don't do water well so they'll twitch a lot, which can get a predator's attention. Sorry.

12. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

He still hasnt ate.. today i saw him scratching himself a few times on the tank wall, its the first time ive seen it ,but im not sure its the first time hes doing it. im thinking of trying to medicate for gill flukes, what do you think?

13. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Definitely not a bad idea. Try to find something with Praziquantel in it, as that will also take care of internal parasites and some other external ones, as that could be what we're dealing with.

14. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

Im using Gyrodol by JBL its with prazi

15. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

Ive finished prazi treatment with no response.. still hasnt eating,, i havent sen him scratching again after that one time i saw it.

16. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Dang man, I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else to try. Any chance there's a fish vet you can call? Some will give free advice over the phond

17. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

not in israel...

18. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

20 days without eating.. today ive noticed a red patch on his nose ive uploaded a video

19. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Dang, do you think it may be large enough to try force feeding? I don't even know if you can force feed a fish, I've only done it on lizards before.

20. OP
    OP
    SaveThemAll1

Update:The fish started to eat again! I started a treatment with Kanaplex,and after the scond dose he started to eat again! I dont know if its beacause of the med or if its just all the time he needed to get over the stress of the moving,anyway he is eaing and in a few days ill move him to the big tank