Iridescent Shark

Velvet

HI all! I'm new here and thankful I found this forum. May I ask pls if anyone could help me regarding my tropical fishes? Coz my tiger barbs are nipping the fin of my juvenile iridescent shark? ive already added tiger barbs, a group of 8 now so they will be a school of barbs, with green tigers and rosy barbs as well. But still, 2 of them are attacking my shark pls help... what should I do? ️️️

Meep fish88

You need at least a 300 gallon tank for your shark!

Velvet

Oops, mine is only a 55 gallon but theyre still small tho. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the picture

And they're only tropical sharks, small ones they call it a hammerhead but I am not even sure if it is indeed a hammerhead fresh water shark. I think its ID shark.

Meep fish88

I don't know much more though.

Velvet

Here's my tank, sorry for the light. Lol! and the ID sharks are kinda stressed sometimes they all of a sudden swim frantically

Landos

I'd rehome the sharks immediately. Tiger barbs are known to be aggressive and are better suited in a species only tank, but I have kept them with denison barbs a d serpae tetras

Velvet

Thank you for this advise! So I need to rehome them my son is gonna cry...

Fettuccini

Meep fish88 said:
You need at least a 300 gallon tank for your shark!
A small lake, actually. They get over 4 feet long and usually get stunted even when kept in public aquariums and ponds. The only reason they're so available is that they're dirt cheap due to being farm raised for food in huge numbers, and most pet store are too irresponsible to stop selling them. So yeah, I'd rehome it.

As for the tiger barbs, how many do you have? More often than not, aggression from them stems from them being kept in too small a group. The more of them you have, the less aggressive they'll be towards your other fish.

Velvet

I do have a serpae tetra too inside the tank, plus 6 small redtail shark and 6 albino redtail shark (rainbow sharks actually, but small ones) of which, I couldn't locate anymore, I could only see 3 or 4.

Oh wow thank you for the advise Fetuccine! ️ here are what I have inside the tank:

2 small ID sharks
12 rainbow sharks (6 albino, 6 redtail, all small ones)
6 serpae tetra
8 tiger barbs
3 green tiger barbs

I did have 6 also angel fishes but 5 of them died already so I gave one survivor to a friend ️

Platylover

HI and welcome!
To be completely honest, if rehome 11 rainbows, the ID's for sure(this is an adult one, the type you see in public aquariums, ), the angel, and then I'd think you'd be well stocked. So in short,
1 rainbow, 11 tiger barbs, 6-10 serpea.
Edit: also if you want to keep the rainbows I'd get a lid, they are prone to jumping.

Velvet

HI Platylover! Thank u for the warm welcome

To be perfectly honest, I am quite unsure if what I have is indeed an ID shark. Sorry but the pic above isn't so clear. When I clicked on your link, the big IDs are not as what it seemed as what I have. I am such an amateur at this, or not even close I will post a clearer photo of this "ID/ hammerhead" shark, as what my petshop told me it was... Hope u guys could help me determine this type of fish.

But I will put in mind your advise. Quite frankly, when my angels were present in the tank, they got killed by my 6 tiger barbs (first set of tigers) and now I added more so they are 11 in all including the green ones, but then I gave away my 1 angelfish survivor as I got scared it might die as well

Platylover

On the id, it looks like an iridescent to me. I looked up freshwater hammerhead and the Paroon shark came up. Does it look anything like that? Sorry your angels where killed, but glad the remaining one survived! Let me mention TexasDomer, she's good with stocking and may be able to help you a bit more then me.

Fettuccini

A clearer picture couldn't hurt, but it definitely looks like an iridescent shark from what I can tell.

I agree about rehoming all but one of the rainbow sharks, too. Despite what they may say at the store (remember they're there to make sales, and not so much to help people succeed) they're solitary fish that are very territorial, and will get murderously violent towards each other when kept together. That's probably why you can only find a few of them now.

Velvet

Maybe this could help. It was an agile swimmer and so quick and temperamental maybe. It was swimming so fast and this is the best I got of it

And this is my albino red tail. I have 6 of em, but others are so good at hiding I couldnt see them.

@Platylover yes! It looks like a paroon shark yes! And the color is also grayish black and silvery sometimes when flashed with light ️ thank you for referring TexasDomer to me. Praying he would see this thread

@Fettuccine Ohhmyyy is that why I could also no longer see some black red tails anymore?? I can only see like 3 of em and think they got stuck inside the wood somewhere. I'm scared some died already or eaten by the bigger tank mates (the IDs)

BluMan1914

That is an Iridescent Shark, and as others have mentioned, needs to be rehomed. Also, you mentioned that you have 6 Red Tail Sharks, I suggest that you rehome all but one.

TexasDomer

I agree with Platylover 's suggestion in post #10. I would do this in a 55 gal:
10-15x Tiger barbs (don't mix with rosy barbs, they're not the same species)
10-15x Serpae tetra
1x rainbow shark

Fettuccini

Velvet said:
@fetuccine. Ohhmyyy is that why I could also no longer see some black red tails anymore?? I can only see like 3 of em and think they got stuck inside the wood somewhere. I'm scared some died already or eaten by the bigger tank mates (the IDs)
Yup, red tails are the same way. If they're all the same size as the one in the picture, they might still be too young to start fighting, but it's still possible that they might. They may also be hiding or some could have been eaten, like you said.

Velvet

Thank you so much BluMan1914 I will keep this in mind. I may have to give the others away
TexasDomer yes, will follow this suggestion. I am sorry, I stand corrected, I only have 6 rosy barbs and not serpae tetra, they look the same so I'm wrong! Forgive my ignorance. In short, I won't mix them too and rehome them? thanks a lot!

So guys, maybe some help on this move, if i'd rehome the Id sharks, 2 of them, Would this be a good plan of stocking, u think?

11x tiger barbs (or more)
1 red tail shark (albino)
1 red tail shark (black)

And will get a lid for the tank as advised by Platylover

And rehome also the 6 rosy barbs? Or can I keep them? What can I house more to add movements inside the tank?

Thank you! Appreciate it much. God bless u all ️

Platylover

Can't say much on the rosy barbs(never kept them or looked into them), but I wouldnt keep two red tails. Even though one is albino and on is regular, they are still the same species and will still become aggressive. I'd keep one or the other. I'm not great of thinking of stocking ideas and the compatibility could be completely off here, but maybe if you only have the red tail and tigers you could do cherry barbs. They are sweet and pretty, Texas will have more suggestions and ideas. Don't get anything with long fins as tigers like to fin nip though.
God bless you too.

Fettuccini

Velvet said:
So guys, maybe some help on this move, if i'd rehome the Id sharks, 2 of them, Would this be a good plan of stocking, u think?

11x tiger barbs (or more)
1 red tail shark (albino)
1 red tail shark (black)

And will get a lid for the tank as advised by Platylover

And rehome also the 6 rosy barbs? Or can I keep them? What can I house more to add movements inside the tank?

Thank you! Appreciate it much. God bless u all ️
Looks fine, except I'd go with only 1 rainbow OR red tail shark. They aren't compatible with each other any more than they are with their own species, unfortunately.

Ideally, I'd rehome the rosy barbs too, just because they aren't very temperature compatible with your other fish (they like cooler water, like goldfish do) although there is a bit of overlap there.

You have a lot of options for other tankmates, but recommend some more semi-aggressive fish, since that's what you have now. Since your barbs have already shown to be nippers, I'd avoid anything with long or flowing fins like gouramis or angelfish. I'd also stay away from most bottom feeders, since the rainbow shark may end up seeing them as intruders in its territory and bully them, although something like a bristlenose pleco (need a diet of fresh veggies) or a raphael catfish would work if you add more hiding places.

I think your best bet would be another school of temperature compatible barbs. Cherry or black ruby barbs in particular are easy and should work pretty well.

TexasDomer

Rosy barbs are fine with tiger barbs and a rainbow or red tailed shark, though there's not a lot of overlap in temp as described above. You can make it work though! I was thinking that you were mixing the tiger barbs and rosy barbs (i.e. not 6 of each and expecting them to school together).

Also agreed with the above, only one shark or they will fight.

So what about this?
10-15x Tiger barbs
10-15x Rosy barbs
1x Rainbow Shark or 1x Red tailed shark

A BN pleco would be a good option as well.

Landos

Platylover said:
HI and welcome!
To be completely honest, if rehome 11 rainbows, the ID's for sure(this is an adult one, the type you see in public aquariums, ), the angel, and then I'd think you'd be well stocked. So in short,
1 rainbow, 11 tiger barbs, 6-10 serpea.
Edit: also if you want to keep the rainbows I'd get a lid, they are prone to jumping.
This stocking idea sounds like it would be a fun, active tank. I'd definitely try to go with this.

Velvet

HI guys thank you all so much I appreciate all the throwing of different ideas to help someone like me who did not research first before putting all the tropicals in. Anyways! I would love to try the suggestion of TexasDomer I think this is easier for us. However, may I ask why I cannot keep the 2 id sharks? Why need to rehome them? I really cannot keep them? Am asking coz I will be choosing between barbs and them. I only have one tank so I will give away either the id sharks or all the barb species if they really cannot go well together

If this won't work, housing the 2 juvie id sharks with the barbs (11 of em), I will have to buy another tank just to keep the id sharks tho, (Just an idea on the plate). And return to the store all the other red tails. Thank youuuu so much!!!

Thank you Landos Platylover @Fettuccine

Fettuccini

The iridescent sharks just get too big. Like I said, they get 4 feet long and need to kept in a very large pond. They'll grow fast and it won't be long before they're badly stunted and producing way more waste than your tank can handle.

Platylover

Glad your going to be taking good care of them, I think FettuccinI already answered your question. But they are one of the awesome fish that just are unfortunately not suited for home aquaria. Just wondering, Fettuccini, do you know how many gallons thy actually need? Because it would be pretty amazing to one day have a very large pond with one.

Velvet

Alright then! I will have to give them up soon, (id sharks) and keep the barbs. Otherwise I will give them away to my friend who has a large fish pond. Breaks my heart but have to protect them as well as the others

Thank u all so much for these wonderful advise! I am like educating myself here ️ super thanks!

Fettuccini

Platylover said:
Glad your going to be taking good care of them, I think FettuccinI already answered your question. But they are one of the awesome fish that just are unfortunately not suited for home aquaria. Just wondering, Fettuccini, do you know how many gallons thy actually need? Because it would be pretty amazing to one day have a very large pond with one.
I don't know exactly, but I wouldn't keep one in anything less than 20 or 30 feet across to give it the space it would need. We're talking about something like small fishing pond rather than a koI pond or anything like that.

Platylover

Fettuccini said:
I don't know exactly, but I wouldn't keep one in anything less than 20 or 30 feet across to give it the space it would need. We're talking about something like small fishing pond rather than a koI pond or anything like that.
That is why it's a dream haha.

Redshark1

Sadly, the Iridescent Shark is not an aquarium fish and should not be sold as one.

Velvet

HI there Red Shark! Earlier, it was odd that my smaller hammerhead shark had its tummy like a balloon! Could it be that it ate a smaller fish or its pregnant or something? Thanks!

TexasDomer

You mean ID shark, not hammerhead, right?

It could easily have eaten another fish.

Velvet

Yes, Id shark dear. Do they eat fishes even full grown? Ive noticed its tummy it got like a balloon! I am just waiting for my other tank be setup and rehome the ID sharks and then follow your advice on the stocking of my tank ️

Thanks Texas Domer!

HI there! Glad I found this forum. My ID shark, about 3-4 inches in size, also got its belly bloated, twice in a row now but the following day got its belly back to normal size? Could this be that it ate some of smaller barbs or red tails or something? Or was it just fish stunting?? Happy for all of your help pls..

DAB56

fishlover2020 said:
Hello everyone! I have 3 iridescent shark in my tank they are with me for more than 9 years, recently one of my shark is coming to the top with the face top and tail down. It had been 15 days since water recycle. Its belly is bloated, now my fear is what happened to it, is it pregnant?

Fish keeping is my hobby for more than 15 years since I am a child but the fish use to die though I took care of them may because I am beginner at that time from then I stopped taking care of fish, but these 3 fish has been with me for more than 9 years though I dint took good care of them.

From the pictures what you people can say? Why the belly is so bloated?
Can you please tell us what size this tank is as it does look very small and also very dirty and in bad disarray.

Do you have a testing kit preferably liquid such as API master test kit. These fish appear extremely overcrowded.

You say you have had them for nine years, but they are quite small so yes they would be very stunted as in the wild in that time frame they would be very large.

Please test the water as you probably likely have very high ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That is unless it has gone through a cycle due to old tank syndrome.

Fettuccini said:
And I would dare say they would make a meal out of the gold fish or koi

Platylover

I believe we've already gone over this, the only thing we haven't is the API test I believe(speaking of which, I do encourage you to get one, they are life savers! Literally!). The quote is also from 3 years ago...

DAB56

DAB56 said:
Can you please tell us what size this tank is as it does look very small and also very dirty and in bad disarray.

Do you have a testing kit preferably liquid such as API master test kit. These fish appear extremely overcrowded.

You say you have had them for nine years, but they are quite small so yes they would be very stunted as in the wild in that time frame they would be very large.

Please test the water as you probably likely have very high ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That is unless it has gone through a cycle due to old tank syndrome.

And I would dare say they would make a meal out of the gold fish or koi
I am confused as to why my posts which had identified that I had acknowledged that this was an old post from 3 years ago and had me laughing and I had attached a laughing smiley has been changed and now back to this again. I wish to remain unquoted please as I do know that the original was an old post. Thanks

clk89

I'm guessing a moderator merged velvets post on the three year old post with this one since she/he had asked the same question. They seemed to have gotten your post during that merge too DAB56.

DAB56

clk89 said:
I'm guessing a moderator merged velvets post on the three year old post with this one since she/he had asked the same question. They seemed to have gotten your post during that merge too DAB56.
Thanks I miss my little laughing guy I am just going to put him right back as this has been one funny experience:;

Random Great Thread

Saltwater aquarium start-up series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom