iridescent shark

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by PittsburghSarah, Dec 26, 2012.

1. P

PittsburghSarah Valued Member Member

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

(S)he have any tank mates?

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Tank mates are listed in aquarium info ;)

It don't think any of the tankmates would have been able to take that big a chunck out of your shark. Did you just get it/did it come like that? It looks like a bite from a larger fish, like a cichlid.

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Ugh. That looks bad. Whatever initially caused it (scratch from decor, pestered by tankmates, etc...), it's infected, and it looks like the infection is eating away at the fish.
    First part of treatment is water changes. Keep the nitrate level as low as possible. (Note: Your aquarium information shows that you are still getting an ammonia reading. Is this correct? If so, you may want to read up on the nitrogen cycle [click on the underlined words for a good article]. That could be part of the source of the fish's stress.)
    In addition, you'll probably want to look at some sort of antibiotic. You can either go with Maracyn or you can try Melafix. Garlic Guard and Stress Coat may help things as well.
    You may also want to consider the food you're feeding the fish. While it's not likely a source of the problem, low-quality food, such as Tetra, can slow your fishes' ability to heal. OmegaOne and New Life Spectrum both make excellent foods. If you want to get the really good stuff, you can get frozen or live food from most pet stores.

Long term, I'm afraid you're likely to keep seeing issues like this. Most of your fish are great for a 65g tank. However, the second algae eater, if it's what the pet stores call a "Chinese algae eater", is likely to pester the other fish, particularly the shark. As they grow older, they develop a taste for slime coat, and will latch onto their broad-bodied tankmates. And the shark is going to outgrow that tank. Iridescent sharks grow up to four feet long. They are literally tank busters in that they have been known to break out a wall of a tank when they've grown too large. They are fish that shouldn't be in the aquarium hobby, as they are really only suitable for large ponds.

5. OP
    OP
    P

I don't have the Chinese algae eater just a leopard pleco and an albino bristle nose I am raising the shark in the tank then transferring him to my pond. I water changes weekly. I have to recheck the ammonia but when I got the shark he had a very small ulcer on thatT same spot now it is huge I have been giving fuba fix but it seems not to work I will try the othrs that you suggested I feed my fish the new life spectrum food hopefully the antibiotics you suggested will do the trick in getting him healed thanks!

6. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Gotcha. "Algae eater" is usually applied to the so-called Chinese algae eater. That's where I got confused.*

So yeah, by your description, it's likely an infection eating away at it.
    The question of water changes is less of how often and more of "how much nitrogen do you have in your tank?" You want to keep the nitrate levels as low as possible. Preferably 20ppm or under.

*Note unrelated to this thread: Do you know the species of the leopard sailfin pleco? I ask because some plecos that are commonly called "leopard" are actually not algae eaters at all. They're carnivores, and need meaty foods to scavenge.

7. OP
    OP
    P

oh that's my bad I didn't describe it too well opps! :p alrighty thanks so much for the information! and my pleco looks similar to that of the sailfin but not sure I will post a pic in this thread later today!

8. OP
    OP
    P

IMAG0049.jpg that's my pleco sorry that's the best picture I could get

9. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

A gorgeous sailfin :) they get about 18 inches :;th

10. OP
    OP
    P

Thank ya! He/she is so spoiled lol :p

11. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

He/she is going very quickly out grow your tank and then start to show it's ugly side to everyone else. They can be a bit aggressive with other bottom dwellers like the shark and albino. More so with the other pleco though.
    What you have is an Orinoco Sailfin which is basically the Sailfin counter part of the Common pleco. They will eat anything almost. Veggies, algae, inverts, dead/sick fish.

Also, the shark is going to keep having problems in such a small tank as well, these guys get huge, up to 4 feet.
    https://www.fishlore.com/profile-iridescentshark.htm

12. OP
    OP
    P

I knew the plecos get big and the shark is just being raised big enough to the point where he can go into my pond but I knew the pleco would get big but know exactly what species or was. What so yoy recommend for eating algae in my tank?

13. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Algae can be a pain because not a lot of big fish eat it and in large tanks that can be an issue. My first bit of advice would certainly be to just avoid having algae in the tank, keep the CO2 levels and lighting in check. Smaller plecos like the BN will do more algae eating then the larger ones. Ottos are also a big algae eating species but they require it in their diet so unless it is a constant supply i wouldn't bother.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice