Iridescent Shark Tank Size?

lisamorie
I am relatively new to fishkeeping, and stupidly did not research this fish (iridecent shark) before I bought it but was told at the pet store it wouldn't be more than a couple of inches long in adulthood... of course now I realize that this shark is gonna get huge and of course they won't take it back, and my tank is waaay too small. I also bought silver dollars-- again was told they stay pretty small (same store, same person) and now I am realizing they will be at least 6 inches?

honestly, after only having fish for a couple of months, I already want another larger tank, so that part is not such a big deal to me, but my question is-- how big of a tank do I need? I am kind of afraid of the answer to this question...

also, I have read that the shark should be feeding at the middle of the tank but he never leaves his hiding place in the shipwreck thing I have in there so I am kinda worried he is not eating at all. any ideas? as of last night when I cleaned the tank he was alive. is he maybe having problems cause he needs a friend? do I need to get another one? if so, wow--

KittieKat
well... when given the space and right diet the iridescent shark can reach up to 4ft long and way up to 100lbs. so u pretty much have ur hands fun there. but in tanks they usually stay around 6-12". in reality catfish never stop growing.. cuz theyre catfish.

most catfish eat at night... they can be pretty shy. normally this shark would be considered a "schooling" fish but its not a need to have so many of them.

I'm guessing most people will tell u to get something like a 75gal for ur fish but I understand where ure coming from cuz when I first started out I was sold a columbian shark and was told it would stay small "it grows to the size of ur tank" blah blah blah.. liers! my shark will get somewhere around 14" or so... soooooo I bought a 125 gallon.

it was at a great price and I know for a fact that ebay and craigs list has GREAT prices for tanks out in florida!! I remember sitting on the computer looking for one and kept finding great prices for calI and florida.. that's it.. kinda made me mad and jealous... so just look up aquariums on those two sites and I'm sure u'll get away with a steal!!

lisamorie
I did start looking on ebay and craigslist for tanks-- craigs had a few that may be decent, but what would you consider to be a good deal? I was thinking I wanted at least a 90 gal but there is a nice 55 gal for about $200- comes with everything. what do you think? I mean, I know I will need bigger than that eventually, but now that I have this new addiction three might not be so bad!

KittieKat
well I saw A LOT of ones that were kindof far away but seemed okay priced.. but I had a large tank in mind and refused to give up. luckily I found the 125 that came with everything but fish for $500. some stands are what boost up the prices. if u want a 90 gal go for it! don't get tempted with smaller ones.. u need a big one so get it and then get others. mind over matter.. u can do it!!

when knowing if its a deal or not it depends on the tank. if u find a idk 30gal bowfront.. look for prices at stores and the web and then add on the prices of the included items. eventually u'll know off the top of ur head but that's how u know.

lisamorie
lol-- you posted that too late! I bought a 55 gal yesterday for $125 with stand, filter, etc. i'm not too worried though, I have a spot for a bigger one when it comes along, but right now I just had to get something bigger cause I am waay over stocked. oh, and I got a 29 gal with everything, including two healthy fish for $30-- which I bought cause I just couldn't pass it up!

KittieKat
lol MTS hit u and hit u hard! welcome to the club!

lisamorie
actually, really hard! my husband is now whining about a saltwater tank, lol-- and I am dying for a betta!

ITHURTZ
There pretty much garanteed to hit 24" in length. I got my 2 in november and they already more than doubled their size. They are in a 55 gallon right now and the biggest is about 5" right now. They should hit over 12" in a year with no problem. Tank? 10 footer or more. If you don't want to shell out the multI thousands for a big tank, kiddie pool ftw! (for the win)

Otherwise a indoor pond would be your best bet. Perhaps a 10' (+) x4 x2' deep.
I bet a 55 would be fine for 8 months max before there face is all bashed up!

Monsterfishkeepers.com have these puppies well over 2 feet long, a lot of them have custom build tanks (DIY) from plywood and a plexiglass viewing window

Also do you just have 1? I would atleast get 1 more as when they are young they prefer to have friends. I have 2 and they are always together swimming about. Get him a friend and he will be swimming allll day

lisamorie
There pretty much garanteed to hit 24" in length. I got my 2 in november and they already more than doubled their size. They are in a 55 gallon right now and the biggest is about 5" right now. They should hit over 12" in a year with no problem. Tank? 10 footer or more. If you don't want to shell out the multI thousands for a big tank, kiddie pool ftw! (for the win)

Monsterfishkeepers.com have these puppies well over 2 feet long, a lot of them have custom build tanks (DIY) from plywood and a plexiglass viewing window

Also do you just have 1? I would atleast get 1 more as when they are young they prefer to have friends. I have 2 and they are always together swimming about. Get him a friend and he will be swimming allll day

ughh, I seriously do not want a fish that big, and I definitely don't want two! I am gonna have to find someone to give him too! maybe I can give him to the lfs...

ITHURTZ
Fish store might take it back if not you could always post of monster fish keepers in the for sale section and someone might be willing to raise it.

If you want a catfish, pictus are between 6-8" full grown, 2 can be housed in a 55 with good filtration.

janoue
Lisa don't feel bad. I did the same thing. And this thing has grown 4X its origional size and eats us out of house and home. My husband wants to buy a much bigger tank and see how thing this thing is going to grow. I said ok if you want to buy a 300 gallon tank. I am seriously thinking about taking it to a lfs and saying " HERE". But my husband loves it and my kids love it and were just going to have to get a MUCH bigger tank. So don't feel bad, I was lied too by my LFS when I purchased this thing.

ITHURTZ
How can you not love a big catfish!

lisamorie
honestly, we are not attached to ours in the least-- in fact, I rarely ever see it and by that I mean, almost only when I lift the ship thingy it is always, ALWAYS hiding in to clean. if it died, I doubt I would know for a week or so...

my husband just walked through as I was typing and said "24 inches? cool! let's keep him!"

ITHURTZ
Ya he hides because he is alone, they are a buddy fish.

Here show your husband some of these pics/threads

Theres more out there, just gives him a idea

KittieKat
I don't have iridescents but I have a columbian and they say that this type of catfish/shark needs to be kept in groups. I refuse to buy another one but he gets along with a black shark as if they were brothers. the black shark will get about 12" as well. found it at walmart, they had it labled as a bala shark!!! yeah right they don't even look the same... silly little wally world

ITHURTZ
FYI columbian catfish are freshwater as babies, brackish as juvies, and full salt water when adults.

lisamorie
I went through both of those links, and now I seriously do not want a fish that big!!

ITHURTZ
Does your husband still want it

If you can't find a place for it locally, and it doesn't die aquabid.com. But fyI the bigger it is the more money you can sell it for:

lisamorie
yeah, we'd noticed that so maybe we'll wait and see

ITHURTZ
This guy still ticking?

lisamorie
sure is, he is still small. we've moved him to the 55 gallon tank and he doesn't hide as much, but still mostly sleeps during the day. he has a favorite peice of driftwood-- look at these pics, too funny. (sorry for the quality) i've named him waldo, lol!

ITHURTZ
Still a tiny sucker! He looks good though, doesn't look skinny from the 3rd pic. Now fatten that beast up. He should hit 12+" in 1 year! Then you can enjoy him or eat him

lisamorie
!! eat him?! know what is hilarious about that? I keep joking with my family that we will be having catfish next thanksgiving!

ITHURTZ
haha. Ya where they are originally from they are sold at fish markets as food, I hear they are pretty good. I don't plan to eat my 2, id rather have 2 3' fish

lisamorie
catfish in general is good ^-^

ITHURTZ
Heres my little punk, Had him and his buddy for 4 months, so far 2.5" to little over 5" in that time period. I love to stuff there stomachs full

You ever see yours eat?

lisamorie
nope, not really. I guess he must be cause he is living--- I drop him shrimp and carnivore pellets... what do you feed yours?

ITHURTZ
Mine only seem to be interested in the tropical crisps I have. Once in a million years the big one will eat a pellet and parts of algae wafers. But crisps they eat so that's what they get, all 30 of them haha. I find personally they eat more when I turn the lights off.

lisamorie
sometimes when I see him out, before I turn the lights on or after I turn them off, I will drop flakes or crisps- especially if he is swimming at the top, but he just swims right through them and goes back to hide. he is so fast, maybe he grabs a couple and I don't see him. I dunno.

ITHURTZ
Try putting some flakes/crisps by him at feeding time then turn the lights off. Maybe his brain will work and find it. Mine for sure are not the smartest of the bunch

gremlin
!! eat him?! know what is hilarious about that? I keep joking with my family that we will be having catfish next thanksgiving!

My Dad's favorite catfish receipe ---

1: Nail catfish to a nice clean pine board.
2: butter fish
3: add salt and pepper to taste
4: grill over a nice open campfire
5: when flesh is nice and flaky, remove from board - throw away fish and eat board

YUMMY !!!

Dragon
Anyone wants to get rid of the Iridescent Shark. let me know. I am living in the NYC area

lisamorie
if you were closer you could have mine, but I am afraid to ship him!

ThisGuy

I now have a new mission in life, 1700 gallon shark tank OMG

ITHURTZ
That would be a awesome sight!

ThisGuy
Here is the link OMG that is an amazing sight to see

and then there is the mega tank...

ITHURTZ
Gotta love the guys on mfk.com eh

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fashooga