Iridescent shark not eating since a monthe

Aqcapt
I have an about 12 inch iridescent shark that has not eaten for about a month.
I have had it for a year now. Earlier it was with my parents for 5 years in a 20 gallon tank.

When I moved it to the bigger tank it stopped eating for a about 2 weeks. But It had regained it's appetite since then. It has bumped its nose and hurt it and developed a growth in it.
It's stomach has also started caving in.
Other than not eating food it is showing normal behavior and is not overly lethargic.
I have ordered garlic-guard and will try that.

The tank conditions:

size: ~180 gallon
no plants
ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 80 ppm before water change
weekly 75% water change (water source about 10 ppm nitrate)
tank mates: 1: 8 inch iridescent shark, 1: 10 inch koi-goldfish hybrid, 1 Indian roofed turtle
filteration: 2 canister filters ( 1 sunsun 304 B; 1 local with flowrate 110 gph) floss, seachem matrix, chemipure elite, phosguard

food:

Tetra Pro Algae: Buy - Tetra Pro Algae - IndieFur.Com

TETRA BITS Tetra Pro Energy: Buy - Tetra Pro Energy Crisp - IndieFur.Com
tetra micro pellets: Buy - Tetra Micro Pellets 100 Ml - IndieFur.Com

Local pellets which it used to eat in its older aquarium. https://www.amazon.in/Optimum-Highl...&hvtargid=pla-1361345111681&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Attachments

• IR_NOSE_1.jpg
    IR_NOSE_1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IR_NOSE_2.jpg
    IR_NOSE_2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IR_NOSE_3.jpg
    IR_NOSE_3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IR_NOSE_5.jpg
    IR_NOSE_5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IR_NOSE_7.jpg
    IR_NOSE_7.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IR_STOMACH_1.jpg
    IR_STOMACH_1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IR_STOMACH_2.jpg
    IR_STOMACH_2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IR_STOMACH_3.jpg
    IR_STOMACH_3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
Cherryshrimp420
That's a lot of feeding for nitrates to go that high...For these big fish they can be fed once a week - a month. Keep in mind they are also getting food from the turtle being fed. I would also avoid algae wafers as they foul water very quickly.

For your shark it seems like it might have a mouth infection. Im not sure if aquarium salt bath or magnesium salt bath (epsom salt) would work.

Just from personal experience when water quality suffers, mouth infections are common in larger fish and turtles. One trick I've used successfully is to get them to bite on something covered in aloe vera. But if your catfish is not eating then this option might not be possible.

Hopefully someone else can help. Best of luck!

PeterFishKeepin
I would say your tank is too small, for koi/goldfish alone your tank is fine, the shark needs at least 300 gallons. The turtle would be fine with goldfish in 180 gallons, but shark is a no - no. Put the shark in a pond, larger tank or rehome it.

Im not trying to be rude but it a reason it has hurt its nose is because the tank is to small, with sharks saltwater or fresh you should give them a round tank not rectange because they often run into the wall, having it all round means less damage to fish.

MacZ
Im not trying to be rude but it a reason it has hurt its nose is because the tank is to small, with sharks saltwater or fresh you should give them a round tank not rectange because they often run into the wall, having it all round means less damage to fish.
Iridescent sharks are actually catfish, not sharks. There are no species of shark that are true freshwater fish. Some move up rivers, but those are all critically endangered. Besides the bull shark, but that's a whole different story.

Anyway, I would try my luck on monsterfishkeepers.

Aqcapt
I would say your tank is too small, for koi/goldfish alone your tank is fine, the shark needs at least 300 gallons. The turtle would be fine with goldfish in 180 gallons, but shark is a no - no. Put the shark in a pond, larger tank or rehome it.

I realize that tank is not big enough and have been trying to rehome them. The problem is where I live fish care is not important to people. All the pet-stores or private aquarium owners who I have been able to get in touch with, have setups worse that the one I have with no plans to upscale.

I am saving up to build a 500 gallon aquarium once the fish become a bit larger.

PeterFishKeepin
i understand your situation, how do you feel about making a pond? or do you like having glass and seeing your fish really clearly?? you could rehome the shark and keep to koi/goldfish with turtle or put them in the 500 gallon. May I ask which country your from?

Aqcapt
That's a lot of feeding for nitrates to go that high...For these big fish they can be fed once a week - a month. Keep in mind they are also getting food from the turtle being fed. I would also avoid algae wafers as they foul water very quickly.

For your shark it seems like it might have a mouth infection. Im not sure if aquarium salt bath or magnesium salt bath (epsom salt) would work.

Just from personal experience when water quality suffers, mouth infections are common in larger fish and turtles. One trick I've used successfully is to get them to bite on something covered in aloe vera. But if your catfish is not eating then this option might not be possible.

Hopefully someone else can help. Best of luck!
Can you elaborate what you meant by "Keep in mind they are also getting food from the turtle being fed"
If you meant that it is snatching up the turtle food, that does not happen because I feed the turtle separately.
i understand your situation, how do you feel about making a pond? or do you like having glass and seeing your fish really clearly?? you could rehome the shark and keep to koi/goldfish with turtle or put them in the 500 gallon. May I ask which country your from?
I am from India.
My house does not have enough yard/garden (un-constructed) space for a pond.

We should have never bought fish that get so big, as I said there is a severe lack of knowledge and the LFS sold these to my parents without any warning when they wanted to start 20 Gallon!

Cherryshrimp420
Can you elaborate what you meant by "Keep in mind they are also getting food from the turtle being fed"
If you meant that it is snatching up the turtle food, that does not happen because I feed the turtle separately.
When turtle poop that becomes food for fish, and/or microorganisms which then become food for fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Top Bottom