Iridescent Shark Catfish, Pangasius Catfish???

Amnagrla
Okay. (I've posted a lot today, I know! hahaha it's my day off! bear with me)

My boyfriends father has a 10 gallon tank. He's had it for a few years now, 3-4 I believe. In this tank he only has one fish now. He said when he first got the tank, he had a couple of fish in it. In the 4 years, only one has survived. He calls it his "shark".

Here are some of the things I've noticed...
~It bullies/eats anything that gets put into the tank,
~enjoys the dirty-ish tank (the dad swears that he'd rather not mess with the water and screw up the chemistry - but fish seems okay, I check a lot),
~swims mostly in the corner of the tank towards the right wall, nose to wall,
~swims when the light is off,
~hides when the light is on in the gravel,
~I noticed it had a white-ish sore, the dad bought ick-guard and it seems to be going away...

I need to sneak a picture of it next time I go there but I SWEAR it looks just like the iridescent shark catfish, only, it is about 4 years old, and about 4-5inches long. Is there another kind of shark catfish that isn't listed on fishlore that this could be?? The iridescent is said to grow to be a foot long and live for 10 years. I wanted to know if this IS an I.S.C. ... could it's growth be stunted??

ecnaj143
Okay. (I've posted a lot today, I know! hahaha it's my day off! bear with me)

My boyfriends father has a 10 gallon tank. He's had it for a few years now, 3-4 I believe. In this tank he only has one fish now. He said when he first got the tank, he had a couple of fish in it. In the 4 years, only one has survived. He calls it his "shark".

~enjoys the dirty-ish tank (the dad swears that he'd rather not mess with the water and screw up the chemistry - but fish seems okay, I check a lot),
~I noticed it had a white-ish sore, the dad bought ick-guard and it seems to be going away...

I need to sneak a picture of it next time I go there but I SWEAR it looks just like the iridescent shark catfish, only, it is about 4 years old, and about 4-5inches long. Is there another kind of shark catfish that isn't listed on fishlore that this could be?? The iridescent is said to grow to be a foot long and live for 10 years. I wanted to know if this IS an I.S.C. ... could it's growth be stunted??
I've posted more than you today, so don't feel bad. Your gonna get different answers, esp. mine, cuz I don't believe in the stunted growth that everyone else does. But, you could be right.

Amnagrla
Your gonna get different answers, esp. mine

Your answer is that I may be right?

Amnagrla
Amnagrla
;D <--- my pearly whites, baby.

ecnaj143
Amnagrla

I re-quoted myself so people don't have to start at the beginning.

And ennaj143, I can't send messages... yet? is that because I'm not a "full member" yet? haha give me till tomorrow night, I'll have a power post day! Anyways - thanks for the help offer, if I need it, I'll let you know!

Amnagrla
really? NO one has any ideas?! ???

ecnaj143
Maybe cuz no one knows??

Amnagrla
there has to be some catfish lovin' person out there that has a guess!

ecnaj143
All I know is, catfish at as strong as goldfish, they can probably live in the sewers!!!!

susitna-flower
If you would post a picture, it would help to identify. So is your question what catfish is it, or is it stunted because it is being kept is too small a tank?

Check out the Raphael Catfish, a lovely fish, but it is nocturnal, and aggressive toward other fish. You never see it move about in the day, and mine hides in a huge shell , except at night!

I do feel fish get stunted, it is extremely stressful on them because their insides out grow the outside, and they eventually die. I would try to suggest a bigger tank would be in order.

Fish in the Frozen North

Butterfly
Yes the fish is probably stunted
Carol

Amnagrla
So I looked at the Raphael Catfish and it's definitely not one.

My question more is what kind of catfish it is and less is it stunted.

I am going over there on Monday and I am going to try and sneak a picture. lol So far, the closest picture I've seen in the iridescent cat - but at 4.5" and 4 years old, I would think being less than half the size it's supposed to be, that's way stunted.

I'm just more curious. I've also been monitoring it for over 6 months now, check on it every time I go to his house, and like I said, a few weeks ago the shark got a white blister thing on his side and is being treated for ick. I'll check on it on Monday.

Thanks!!

Butterfly
ICH looks like little grains of salt and can be anywhere on the body and some times in really bad cases all over the body.
Do you know what the blister on its side was caused from?
heres some information for you on iredescent sharks-
Carol

COBettaCouple
that white blister doesn't sound like ich.. more like a fungus or ulcer maybe, or a few other conditions I believe. does it grow steadily, look fuzzy, have any red to it? I hope you get to sneak in some pics and we can help.

Amnagrla
You're right, doesn't sound/look like ich now that I've googled some pictures.

It grew steadily.
It is a white bump, a blemish looking thing.
It isn't cottony.
It doesn't look fuzzy.
There is no red on it or around it.
It really does look like a white pimple. It's about the size of one (you know that one kid from science class that had the huge pimple on his forhead - it looks like that but all white and the surface next to it looks a bit white, too)

lol one more day till I sneak a picture!

COBettaCouple
well, this is just a total guess but it sounds like a type of tumor.

Amnagrla
**in Arnold voice** It's naht a toomah!

lol but it could be! :;jk

How would one treat a tumor?

Butterfly
I see I messed the link up. sorry :-[

COBettaCouple
How would one treat a tumor?

I think the options are basically the same as with people and depend on the type of tumor. You might want to start a new thread in the diseases forum to see what advice the members can give you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ryngwrayth
Replies
Views
Danni524
Replies
Views
abhinavsuman77
Replies