Iridescent Shark Babies?

CaliFishGuy
Does anyone have any experience with Ir sharks spawning in home aquariums?

I've read online before that they supposedly have "never been successfully bred in captivity" on one of the "expert" aquarium websites.

However, I was just cleaning out the tank today, and I found several dead fry floating on the top of the water that were clearly little miniature 1/4" Ir sharks. Now, there's nothing in the tank except the 2 sharks and the giant albino pleco, so it's got to be the sharks that spawned, but I always thought that the environment had to be really special for them to actually spawn and fertilize the eggs.

I've got LOTS of guppies, so I'm used to checking for babies and scooping them out every day and putting them into a "baby" tank until they are big enough to live in the adult tanks without being eaten. Now that I know it is possible, I'll do the same for the shark tank. I just thought I'd post here and see if anyone else had any experience with this, or knew of anyone else that had.

Cheers,

Bob

TFA101
It could've been your pleco, they've been known to breed in the home aquarium. But let's say it was your Iridescent Sharks who were responsible. You really can't care for them and raise them for their potential adult size. Heck, your breeders aren't even adults yet. Despite what the pet store employees said, are you aware ID Sharks are capable of achieving lengths up to 4 feet long, and weights of +100lbs? The only place for these guys really is their home lake back in Asia, or a tank like the one you'd see in a public aquarium. I'd recommend taking them back ASAP.

CaliFishGuy
It could've been your pleco, they've been known to breed in the home aquarium.

Well, that would be immaculate conception since he's never been around another pleco for 4 years, and this was definitely NOT a pleco-shaped baby.

But let's say it was your Iridescent Sharks who were responsible. You really can't care for them and raise them for their potential adult size. Heck, your breeders aren't even adults yet. Despite what the pet store employees said, are you aware ID Sharks are capable of achieving lengths up to 4 feet long, and weights of +100lbs? The only place for these guys really is their home lake back in Asia, or a tank like the one you'd see in a public aquarium.

Not really true, on many counts.

I've had them for almost 4 years now and they were about 6" long when I got them. They get bigger tanks as necessary, and will be getting an upgrade at the end of July when I move to a new apartment, although I'm not exactly sure just how big the new one will be just yet. They don't share the tank with anyone except the pleco, so it's not an over crowded tank, and they are happy fish. They don't thrash around, they don't have gashes or sores on their bodies beyond a couple of minor bumps on their faces (which I've seen on EVERY ID shark I've ever seen, anywhere). In short, they are healthy, happy, and well cared for.

They can reach breeding maturity anywhere from 3-4 years old according to all the resources I've been able to find online (not just anecdotal chat in forums), so it is possible, at least biologically. My surprise is simply that the references all said that there were supposed to be very unique circumstances where they could breed - e.g., cool streams, strong running water, deep dark pools to lay the eggs, and so on.

As to the massive 4 foot, hundred pound sizes you and others keep mentioning here, yes - I will admit that it's theoretically possible for the breed to get that big if raised in a pond or stream or other unrestricted environment and they are genetically disposed towards that size. However, that is the exception, not the rule.

Despite the common pessimism I see here on many posts, it is quite possible - with proper care - for Id sharks to thrive in a home aquarium without having to turn your house into a miniature SeaWorld. I'm not saying it's for everyone, and definitely not for the beginner, but it can be - and has been - done.

I'd recommend taking them back ASAP.

I seriously doubt that Petco would consider taking back fish it sold 4 years ago. Maybe, before you make assumptions, you might want to check out the tank information about the poster? Or maybe even ask a question or two instead of just assuming that you know all about me and my setup?

TFA101
woah woah I'm just trying to help. sorry if it seemed that way but I know people who assumed they would stay that size, and now have a 2 foot long catfish in a 50 gallon tank. As for the return thing I can't help but suggest, I admit, I know absolutely nothing about your tank, and for all I know, I had no idea whether your ID sharks were added when the tank started out or if they were recent additions. Sorry I didn't ask any questions, but you don't have to snap back at me for something I obviously didn't know.

ITHURTZ
At 4 years old your cats should be pushing 28"+. Fry don't look anything like adult fish, my fantail fry before they started filling out looked like giant mosquitoes. The chance of your cats spawning is probably 5 million to 1. These are POWERFUL fish and need MASSIVE space. Aquarium owners can't even get balas to spawn and they are 1/4 the max size.

And just to point out that you said they looked like cats at 1/4" tells me that your lying. At 1/4" my fry look like minnows you find in a stream.

You wanna spawn cats? throw them in a 20,000gal tank

Jo3olous
you're an idiot if your going to keep them in anything less than a 100G tank EACH. and if your pleco is a common that thing can grow to 2 feet long also. If your ID sharks are only 6 inches after 4 years its because the small tank stressed them out and stunted their growth, don't be fooled their internal organs will still grow even if they are small on the outside. They are more than likely living a very poor life and will die in time. sorry but what your doing is wrong, and ID sharks shouldn't even be sold as household fish. Pet store workers are $#@$@#! idiots~

Shawnie
I seriously doubt that Petco would consider taking back fish it sold 4 years ago. Maybe, before you make assumptions, you might want to check out the tank information about the poster? Or maybe even ask a question or two instead of just assuming that you know all about me and my setup?

I did look and you have 2 and a common plec in a 29 gal? wow is all I have to say..

Da Make It Rain Man
in four years about 28' I had my two for two years and they're only about 4' lol

ITHURTZ
Your tank is either to small or your feeding them once a week then

MeGustaUnaPez926
Hey, CaliFishGuy? It says in your aquarium info it says you have chinese algae eaters. Do you realize that they get to be about a foot long and once they reach adulthood they will kill all of your other fish? You have them in a 6 gallon and a 10 gallon. Now, I'm not sure if the 'Gold' and 'Chocolate' part you mentioned make them a completely different fish, but you need to consider either getting a much bigger tank (not only for them but also your ID's and pleco) or get rid of them some how. You wrote in regards to you sharks- "They don't share the tank with anyone except the pleco, so it's not an over crowded tank, and they are happy fish." Just because the other only tankmate is a pleco does not make it a properly stocked tank. 'Overstocked' is not judged by the number of fish, but rather the ratio of the fishs adult size to the number of gallons. If the way you define stocking is true, than you could also say a pacu would be happy ion a ten gallon with one platy. Not true.
And you didn't need to backlash like that at TFA101, even if he didn't know your tank information, all of the info he gave you is still right. That was completely unnecessary. Fishlore is a place where we all try to help one anther out and don't judge people if they miss some information. People are rarely intentionally rude, and we all want what is best for your fish.

MeGustaUnaPez926
I think that was kind of a wasted post, the guy hasn't been on in months His poor fish...

Da Make It Rain Man
the tank might be to small but I feed them about 3 times a day I'm waitin til they get a little bigger to move them to a 75 gal

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Brainlady
Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views