Ir3land’s 20 Gal Long Axolotl Tank!

Ir3land

Hi fish friends! You read the title right, I finally was able to get a good deal on a 20 Gal long tank and am starting to set up an Axolotl tank! Right now I just have a stand and the tank, I just ordered a sponge filter online and waiting for it to come :D. I will also be ordering a chiller, I just need a bit more time to research which one I want, and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Stocking:
1x Wild Morph Axolotl
(pretty self explanatory)

Plants:
Java Fern
Silk Artifical Plants
(Java Fern I know is one of the hardiest plants out there which is what I need due to the low light and cold temp of the axolotl, if anyone knows more please do tell!)

Other Info:
Fishless Cycle
Diet of Bloodworms and Nightcrawlers
Medium sized Sponge Filter
Black sand substrate

Attachments

• E4ED4595-3F66-487D-92E6-193DF268AD60.jpeg
    E4ED4595-3F66-487D-92E6-193DF268AD60.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 19

wishuponafish

Sounds good!
If you're having trouble finding a chiller, I've had success using a cheap walmart clip-on fan to keep the temp at 66 degrees.
Also if your tank will get any direct/indirect natural light, anacharis (and maybe cabomba/hornwort) can be an option too; it doesn't root down, doesn't need tons of light, and can handle cold temps.

pagoda

Just remember not to use any chemicals or medications.
No lights at all in the aquarium.
No heat sources in the aquarium
A large drainpipe (house type, minimum 4" diameter x 12" as somewhere for the Axie to hide and sleep)
No sharp edges anywhere on anything
Large piece of driftwood to rest on during the day.

As he/she gets older there will be alot less daytime activity, they are best fed before you go to bed or very early in the morning..dusk/dawn.

Build an earthworm farm...babies will eat chopped earthworms, full grown feed one full earthworm every two to three days. Do not overfeed

No stones or rocks smaller than 3" diameter...they eat everything that their mouth can manage.

In the event of constipation or digestive blockage....gently move the Axie into a sandwich box full of aquarium water, put a net over the top securely (yes they DO jump very impressively) and place into the bottom of your fridge....yes I said fridge. The low temperature will slow their metabolism down and allow them to pass the digestive blockage themselves without damage or injury.

NEVER take your Axie out of the water, yes they have lungs, yes they have gill feathers externally but they cannot survive out of the water.

NEVER pick up your Axie, their skin is extremely delicate.

If your Axie loses a limb or any bodypart do not worry, they regenerate...takes a month or so.

Follow a strict maintenance routine...these are way more messy than the average goldfish....clean sand every other day with turkey baster. Change 60-75% water every week, sometimes twice a week. Water quality must be absolutely perfect at all times, these animals are super sensitive to any change in water quality.

Filter should be 4 or 5 times the capacity that would normally be found on the size of aquarium......they like a little flow to swim against, not too much though.

Ir3land

Sounds good!
If you're having trouble finding a chiller, I've had success using a cheap walmart clip-on fan to keep the temp at 66 degrees.
Also if your tank will get any direct/indirect natural light, anacharis (and maybe cabomba/hornwort) can be an option too; it doesn't root down, doesn't need tons of light, and can handle cold temps.
Thanks so much for your words! I was thinking of getting a clip on fan so that works perfectly! And I’ll definitely look into anacharis! :D
Just remember not to use any chemicals or medications.
No lights at all in the aquarium.
No heat sources in the aquarium
A large drainpipe (house type, minimum 4" diameter x 12" as somewhere for the Axie to hide and sleep)
No sharp edges anywhere on anything
Large piece of driftwood to rest on during the day.

As he/she gets older there will be alot less daytime activity, they are best fed before you go to bed or very early in the morning..dusk/dawn.

Build an earthworm farm...babies will eat chopped earthworms, full grown feed one full earthworm every two to three days. Do not overfeed

No stones or rocks smaller than 3" diameter...they eat everything that their mouth can manage.

In the event of constipation or digestive blockage....gently move the Axie into a sandwich box full of aquarium water, put a net over the top securely (yes they DO jump very impressively) and place into the bottom of your fridge....yes I said fridge. The low temperature will slow their metabolism down and allow them to pass the digestive blockage themselves without damage or injury.

NEVER take your Axie out of the water, yes they have lungs, yes they have gill feathers externally but they cannot survive out of the water.

NEVER pick up your Axie, their skin is extremely delicate.

If your Axie loses a limb or any bodypart do not worry, they regenerate...takes a month or so.

Follow a strict maintenance routine...these are way more messy than the average goldfish....clean sand every other day with turkey baster. Change 60-75% water every week, sometimes twice a week. Water quality must be absolutely perfect at all times, these animals are super sensitive to any change in water quality.

Filter should be 4 or 5 times the capacity that would normally be found on the size of aquarium......they like a little flow to swim against, not too much though.
Thanks so much for all this info man! I’ll definitely refer back to it :). I didn’t even think about making an earthworm farm, I’ll definitely look into it now though, thanks for all your help! :)

pagoda

This was my 20g long aquarium layout for Phoenix Axolotl.....and when he was a baby and two years later, just a week before he died in his sleep

Axies do not have eyelids, so brightness of any kind is a no-no....Phoenix liked to just gaze as per the last photo of him, it looks bright but infact the window behind his aquarium is covered in Fablon self adhesive UV blocking film so he never had bright direct sunlight

Average size when fully grown is around 12" nose to tail, my boy Phoenix was 16" and his girth was a baby's arm...he was a big lad and the breeder suspected that his size is why he passed away at just over 2 years old. I had him since he was 4 months old and 4" long.
He was a cheeky sausage, used to greet me each morning with a burp and a fart....and the biggest smile possible....I miss him but will not replace him cos he interacted so much, Axies take your heart and run away with it, you'll get very attached to yours....and he or she will be very attached to you and will interact with you all the time....they are awesome animals :)

644238-a1aaf88d4fb119756319b42339cb1469.jpg
648996-d82378f1f46f404ac6517be39d8c5ffb.jpg
757046-7fbe3a4e4cedb3ef78747c9e68d6f71d.jpg
757047-694338d50a2e818093476a73a57544be.jpg

Ir3land

This was my 20g long aquarium layout for Phoenix Axolotl.....and when he was a baby and two years later, just a week before he died in his sleep

Axies do not have eyelids, so brightness of any kind is a no-no....Phoenix liked to just gaze as per the last photo of him, it looks bright but infact the window behind his aquarium is covered in Fablon self adhesive UV blocking film so he never had bright direct sunlight

Average size when fully grown is around 12" nose to tail, my boy Phoenix was 16" and his girth was a baby's arm...he was a big lad and the breeder suspected that his size is why he passed away at just over 2 years old. I had him since he was 4 months old and 4" long.
He was a cheeky sausage, used to greet me each morning with a burp and a fart....and the biggest smile possible....I miss him but will not replace him cos he interacted so much, Axies take your heart and run away with it, you'll get very attached to yours....and he or she will be very attached to you and will interact with you all the time....they are awesome animals :)

644238-a1aaf88d4fb119756319b42339cb1469.jpg
648996-d82378f1f46f404ac6517be39d8c5ffb.jpg
757046-7fbe3a4e4cedb3ef78747c9e68d6f71d.jpg
757047-694338d50a2e818093476a73a57544be.jpg
It’s so inspiring hearing yours and Phoenix’s story. I’m so sorry for your loss, Phoenix must’ve been so happy having an owner who sounds super knowledgeable. I promise to keep my little friend as happy as it can be, thanks so much man :D

Ir3land

Update #1 - I finally got the sand and water into the tank! As well as the filter running :). I’ll be getting a lid and a thermometer as well! I’m super excited even though it’ll be a while! :D

Ir3land

Dah! I forgot the photo!

Attachments

• 2DCCDE17-A951-46CE-A078-2E2350CCED44.jpeg
    2DCCDE17-A951-46CE-A078-2E2350CCED44.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 16

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ir3land
Replies
Views