Invincible Hairy Algae On Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
144
Points
73
Location
United States
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all! I have a 29 gallon with a 30 power filter. The residents in this tank are a single albino cory (only survivor of a disease that killed my other 7 - making sure disease is completely gone before I add more) and a giant golden mystery snail. Brownish green algae is growing in waves on my walls and little black strings sit around on the gravel (I'm certain it is not poop - it grows on each single substrate grain and then rots off into big heaps in the back of my tank) It is impossible to vacuum all of these up and I do not know how to get these strands and wall algae away. Any suggestions on what it is and how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,353
Reaction score
1,686
Points
148
Location
Colorado
Experience
3 years
If its hair algae you have an imbalance in your tank. Is sunlight hitting it? Once you figure out the source of the problem, you can use hydrogen peroxide to spot treat areas.
 

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Messages
580
Reaction score
144
Points
73
Location
United States
Experience
5 to 10 years
If its hair algae you have an imbalance in your tank. Is sunlight hitting it? Once you figure out the source of the problem, you can use hydrogen peroxide to spot treat areas.
How would I use Hydrogen peroxide in it? the tank is in the directly faces a window that is open to the sun so that is probably the problem.
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,353
Reaction score
1,686
Points
148
Location
Colorado
Experience
3 years
Yeah, the spring sun was hitting my tank without knowing it. I used some room darkening curtains. Blackout curtains work also.

To use hydrogen peroxide you just fill a syringe or pipette, and squirt it on the algae. It will die and the hydrogen peroxide will turn into h20 pretty quickly. After that you can rub or scrape it off. I let my otos and amanos eat it. Once it dies it gets softer so they like to munch on it. Fun fact: the reason hydrogen peroxide is in a dark bottle is because it isnt stable. It turn back into water after exposure to light.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Top Bottom