Inverts for acidic water?

Pfrozen

hello

so my new (cycling) tank is testing around 6.3-6.4 pH, which I am quite happy with as I will be stocking fish that thrive in acidic conditions. im also going to be switching over to high light with no CO2 and will need to be extremely careful so the acidity will help with algae.

i need a cleanup crew though as i have 3 full cubes of rotting bloodworms in there as well as diatoms and need to take care of it

any inverts that will survive in this range?

tank tested 0.1 ammonia 0.1 nitrites 20 nitrates today, should be safe to add stock within a day or two if im careful as safe like i always am

thanks

AngelfishDude722

never mind

Pfrozen

jpaquatics

Some of the caridina shrimp do good in that range I think.

jpaquatics

I think most snails will have shell issues in that range

Pfrozen

i might have a low enough kh for caridina right now but im not sure if that would be sustainable, they would probably die with water changes. my tank water is softened and my tap water is ph neutral

wishuponafish

You could keep scuds if you're keeping small fish, they do a very good job cleaning up.
But the best and most important clean up crew is you. Suck up the bloodworms with a turkey baster and whoosh it's gone instantly.

erinw347

large snails like mystery snails will have issues with their shell in that range. But smaller snails should be just fine. You can just buy a plant and you should get a free little clean up crew of bladder snails ;)

Top Bottom