Invertebrates Help :D 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Flufeeh, Apr 6, 2010.

1. F

Flufeeh Valued Member Member

Hey FL. I've recently taken a large interest in invertebrates. They look really cool and I'd love to have some in my tank.

The 20 gallon tank has completed its cycle, but I have added tons of new plants today. I went a bit overboard with it too and I just took some of the more uninteresting ones out. The back and sides are nicely filled, very few empty spaces. Can't take pictures atm since I have no way of uploading them to my computer.

I currently have 1 betta (which will be moving soon) and 6 platys. Only 1 is fully grown. What could I possibly put in here and how many? I like the idea of Ghost Shrimps, not sure about a snail. Don't know what kind to get. Any suggestions would be welcome!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

In a 20 gallon, you could get several dwarf crayfish.

3. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

I would take the betta out and put it by itself in a 2.5-5gallon tank (if its a male). Platys look good with other livebearers like guppies or mollies. You could possibly put in some tetras or another option would be to keep JUST 1-2 Electric Yellow cichlids.
    Some other cichlids you could keep would be some dwarf cichlids like GBR's or Bolivian Rams.

Also do some research, it will help you in the future.

Good luck,
    Jake

4. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

Well... You might get some fun invertebrates from your plants... Snails! :) I personally think snails are really cool, but that's all that I can talk about. I have no experience with any other types of inverts.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Oh my god they look so cute. :D

Edit: Emberdee, tell me more about snails. They look like funny and interesting little guys.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  6. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lol crayfish are plant movers btw. You might wake up with plants in places you never put them...lol other then that crays are so much fun its crazy. I have one Electric Blue Crayfish named Eli...he is the best aquatic animal I have ever gotten...and thats saying something.

7. Jaysee

The dwarf ones don't dig in the sand like the big ones do.

8. OP
    OP
    F

Wow, that's a great personality. :D

Thanks.

9. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

Well...Snails putter around your tank climbing on walls, plants, and mine really likes my driftwood. They don't really eat your plants, at least mine doesn't, and I think mine is a ramshorn. Snails eat excess food from your fish feedings and just add a little more personality to your tank. Some types even help to stir the sand beds of your tank. Well... that's all that I really know about snails! I hope you have a good time with your invertebrates.

10. Jaysee

Crayfish eat snails, including MTS. The dwarf ones do not.

11. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Yeah crays will eat anything slow moving and small enough for them to catch when they are asleep. Which is why its not suggest getting any other bottom feeders for a tank. Maybe corys but even I'm not sure. Eli will go and attack any guppie that gets near him. Which is fine because they are their for him to eat. But he is a bit aggressive even when tank cleaning he'll give the "Imma goin to pinch you" look and hold up his pinchers lol.

12. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Are dwarf crayfish as aggressive and piscivorous as the normal ones?

13. Jaysee

I'm going to say yes and no. I say yes because I think if they were the size of their 6-8 inch cousins, they'd be exactly the same. However, they top out at 2 inches and have very small claws, so I say no. I've kept them with bettas - unfortunately, I didn't provide tight enough cover and the betta tracked them down and ate them at the molt. I have one left, with a female betta and a mystery snail.

I'm sure the dwarf crays could eat fry, but not full size fish. If anything, fish ought to be chosen so that they don't eat the crays.

14. OP
    OP
    F

Hey guys, I've went to two LFS and sadly none of them had crayfish OR snails. :(

One did have some really beautiful shrimp though, red with white spots all over them, and some just red with white stripes if I remember correctly. I have no idea what they are, maybe cherry shrimps or cardinal? Would these be ok to get?

15. josh11551

josh11551 Well Known Member Member

i have only had ghost shrimp but i have learned not to put them with mollies but i dont know if they would be ok with platies..

16. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure those are CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp). Do you know what grade they are? Just out of curiousity. Here's the grading sheet.

The ones at my LFS are grade B.

On the other hand, those shrimp are expensive, small, and very, VERY difficult to care for. CRS require nearly perfect acidic water with absolutely no ammonia, nitrite, and minimal nitrate. Even the smallest change in water params could easily kill off the entire stock. Here's the care sheet for them:

I would advise you get some easier shrimp to care for, such as cherry shrimp, Amano shrimp, or ghost shrimp. Jaysee's suggestion on dwarf crayfish is also very good, assuming you can find some.

17. OP
    OP
    F

Today I went to the LFS again to get some Amquel plus and I also asked them about the shrimp. I found out the shrimps I was talking about were saltwater shrimps (and are huuuge compared to the freshwater.) I asked them if they had freshwater and they showed me a tank with some cherry shrimp. I saw the tag before that said "Cherry Shrimp" but I thought they were bigger and that they were sold out. :;laughing

They were about the size of a pushpin. I'm not sure how many to get, now I'm afraid that my betta can easily snag some of these and eat them or I haven't recalled their size correctly. I do have loads of hiding places and plants for them though.

Summary of my tank: 20 gallon, fully cycled, 6 platies, 1 betta, and heavily planted.

18. allibobs

allibobs Well Known Member Member

Hi I have cherry shrimp in with my Bolivian ram who to add is a BULLY and my shrimp are fine. The only thing I find is the shrimp LOVE to get in the filter! I will go for ages with out seeing one and will go look in the filter and the little jumping crazies will be in there. I have watched them attempting to get in the filter them selves no just getting sucked in!

19. p

potatos Valued Member Member

you could go with cherry shrimp, crystal red shrimp, mystery snails (commenly available in several colours) or a single nerite snail (only one, because more than one will lay hard eggs that wont ever hatch and will have to be removed) nerite snails are fantastic algae eaters, and come in many variations. mine looks brown from a didtance, but upon close inspection, his shell is hair thin black and yellow stripes. mystery snails come in blue, black, white, and yellow. they are big, and will lay eggs if you lower your water level a few inches. cherry shrimp will breed easily, and like java moss, but some fish (such as rams and cichlids) will eat them. if you want invertibrates, be sure to get compatable fish

20. OP
    OP
    F

Ok I feel a little better about getting them now. I don't think any of the LFS around here have snails, I need to ask.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice