Invasive snail removal of non-stocked tank? (chemies are fine)

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Jonez, Jan 5, 2013.

1. JonezWell Known MemberMember

Long time no post. :)

I have a 10 gallon tank that I've got a rather huge snail issue with. I have dealt with it in the past when I had my nigerian cichlids in there -- added to the natural environment I thought -- but now that my Nigerians are gone, Im wanting to commit snail genocide. ><
    What methods would you suggest that are quick, and dont necessarily have to be easy. Chemicals are fine, as its not stocked at all.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Quick, easy and old fashioned method is to empty contents into trash bin, scrub tank and filter and what not... not necessarily humane ... or pleasant, but avoids the need for chemicals. I did that when I was swapping tanks around, however mine was mostly consisting of sand and gunk. Also, I intentionally saved the big ones I could easily grab with my hand to feed my assassin snails. I'd stay away from chemicals unless you're leaving the tank unstocked for awhile. I'd be afraid of residues harming future fish. But, I know someone on here knows a better method :) Good luck with your escargot!

3. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

throw in a bunch of pennies (old, before they stopped making them from copper). the copper in old pennies will leach out and kill any inverts. or you can go to the local hardware store, but a copper t joint, steel wool any residues or other nasties off, put it in the tank and it acts the same as the penny. a forum member from a different forum asked the same question a few days ago and someone responded that the t joint keilled the snails in under a week.

4. JonezWell Known MemberMember

Well, looks like I'll be putting that plan on hold. I just had to turn the 10 into a hospital tank. My W african Krib just viciously attacked my Blue Phantom Pleco.... Nipped most of his tail fin off. :(
    He's not doing so well at the moment.

5. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Yuo could always get an assassin snail while you are QTing the tank. I too would stay away from chemicals

6. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

not sure on how copper effects plecs, but the copper trick should be safe and effective.

7. JonezWell Known MemberMember

Re-reading up on my notes, I was thinking at one time on converting the 10 gallon to a Pea Puffer tank as well, in which case, snails would make tasty treats for them.
    Right now Im just hoping my Pleco will survive this brutality. :(

Thanks for all the replies :)

8. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice