Invasion!!! 20 Gallon Tank 

wolfnitehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OMG I took a close look into my tank today and it is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY OVERRUN by tiny little snails. THERE ARE TONS OF THEM and I haven't the foggiest clue as to where they came from because I have never had snails in my tank. and how do I get rid of them? some body help please

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmmm, these snails seem like either Malaysian trumpet snails or pond snails. Both species are perfectly harmless. Both species are very beneficial. Some people are panicking as they overrun the tank, others (like me) are searching everywhere to try to buy a batch to populate their aquarium.

These tiny snails won't parasitize or harm your fish (contrary to what the clueless LFS person told me), so why not leave them alone? Right now, your biggest problem is overfeeding. A population explosion of these little guys is a sure sign that you are feeding too much, because overfeeding leads to excess food, and at night, the snails come out, eat, and party.

You mention that you have never seen them before. However, it is most likely that all along they have been in your tank, silently eating away any rotting food before it can poison the water. Silently burrowing through the gravel and aerating it, and munching algae off the glass and ornaments. When you don't overfeed, you barely notice these inconspicious janitors.

Right now, all you can do is feed less, maybe even fast your fish for a day or two. Feed less than you normally do for a week or so, and make sure that all food is consumed before hitting the bottom (unless they're sinking pellets or wafers, of course). That way, the snail population will slowly shrink in size until you are unable to notice them again.

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I usually put a veggie of some sort like lettuce and they crawl all over it, Then i take the lettuce out.

Hope that helps
Chris

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Puffers and Clown Loaches will eat them. Also assassin snails.

As opposed to other members, I HATE them. They actually take over the tank.

wolfnitehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks for the info guys it's good to know that i've been overfeeding my fish. i'll cut back their daily feeding. i also did go out and buy a clown loach to make sure they don't completely overrun my tank

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know next to nothing about snails I just wanted to welcome you to Fishlore and say hi

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i wouldnt add anything personally especially with your tank stock.

I would use the lettuce method IMO

Chris

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wolfnitehunter said:
thanks for the info guys it's good to know that i've been overfeeding my fish. i'll cut back their daily feeding. i also did go out and buy a clown loach to make sure they don't completely overrun my tank
to FishLore!
Clowns Loacheswill eat the snails but your tank isn't big enough for the clown loach, they also like to be in groups of three or more.. Sorry
Discovering what caused the snail population and resolving that issue is more productive for your tank

As Elodea said snails in are good for your tank.
Here's a little more information on Clown Loaches and some cool pictures as well https://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
Carol

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wolfnitehunter said:
...snip... I haven't the foggiest clue as to where they came from because I have never had snails in my tank. and how do I get rid of them?
It is very common for snails to hitch a ride with plants. I see you've got live plants, so it's likely they hitched a ride home with you

I let them go in my tank, occassionally I pick out the bigger ones if I can be bothered.

It's almost impossible to completely eradicate them (sorry to be the bearer of bad news).

And please, please, please DO NOT USE SNAIL RID PRODUCTS! There are supposedly products that will kill snails, but these a sure fire way to get yourself and tank into trouble, and kill your entire community. [just in case you were thinking about a chemical solution ]

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i wish you could ship them over for my puffer

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Elodea said:
Hmmm, these snails seem like either Malaysian trumpet snails or pond snails. Both species are perfectly harmless. Both species are very beneficial. Some people are panicking as they overrun the tank, others (like me) are searching everywhere to try to buy a batch to populate their aquarium.

These tiny snails won't parasitize or harm your fish (contrary to what the clueless LFS person told me), so why not leave them alone? Right now, your biggest problem is overfeeding. A population explosion of these little guys is a sure sign that you are feeding too much, because overfeeding leads to excess food, and at night, the snails come out, eat, and party.

You mention that you have never seen them before. However, it is most likely that all along they have been in your tank, silently eating away any rotting food before it can poison the water. Silently burrowing through the gravel and aerating it, and munching algae off the glass and ornaments. When you don't overfeed, you barely notice these inconspicious janitors.

Right now, all you can do is feed less, maybe even fast your fish for a day or two. Feed less than you normally do for a week or so, and make sure that all food is consumed before hitting the bottom (unless they're sinking pellets or wafers, of course). That way, the snail population will slowly shrink in size until you are unable to notice them again.
You started the MTS society before ever having had MTS personally?!
Be careful what you wish for!

I realize that the advice commonly spread on the internet regarding MTS is that if you have too many you must be overfeeding. I may even have passed that advice along before as well but I usually try to remember to tell people if my advice is not coming from personal experience.

I can promise you there is more to the story sometimes. I have tried to test the overfeeding theory by feeding the fish in my 75 very sparingly and only once per day for the last 8 months. They are fed only a small amount and I try to fast the tank at least a couple days each week. There are still 7 million 1/16 to 1/8 inch new babies in my tank approximately every 5 minutes. I think it may be because my tanks have high light and are fertilized so they are thriving on algae. I may be grasping at straws there but the fish are NOT overfed and the food doesn’t hit the bottom.

I have seen a population that seemed to be a direct result of overfeeding in fry tanks but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the reverse of that is true – that not overfeeding will keep their numbers down.

This may explain the stories I’ve seen of people freezing and baking their substrate.

chrisb01 said:
Puffers and Clown Loaches will eat them. Also assassin snails.

As opposed to other members, I HATE them. They actually take over the tank.
I agree with you. MTS are evil horrible little things lol

BTW Puffers can’t eat MTS because their evil little shells are to hard.

We should figure out if you even have MTS before having a debate about the little monsters. What do the snails you are infested with look like?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah, I like MTS. My tank is already infested with pond snails, now all I need are some little trumpets to aerate the completely stagnant and un-aerated gravel. I used to have MTS and loved them...but after going to China for a vacation and having someone feed the fish once a week, I'm sad to say that my little snaily friends all starved to death.

I agree with Butterfly, your tank is now horribly overstocked with the clown loach. They grow up to 10 inches long, and love to be in groups, so you should either give the loach back to the LFS, rehome him, or invest in a 75 gallon tank, quick.

Suemvb: Ship them to me! I'd love to replenish my non-existant stock!

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't mind the pond snails or any of the others. I feed them to my Puffers. The fact that they can't bite through the MTS shells is the ultimate irony. The one kind I have 798 billion of my puffers can't eat

I would love it if all of mine slithered out of the tank, out onto the porch and got cooked in the sun. Sorry I'm drifting off in to a fantasy. I have lots of little MTS death fantasies lol

PM me

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When my tank was overrun with the pond snails they actually reproduced so much they were eating my plants a bit, so I had to get them out. The MTS are completely harmless.

wolfnitehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Butterfly said:
to FishLore!
Clowns Loacheswill eat the snails but your tank isn't big enough for the clown loach, they also like to be in groups of three or more.. Sorry
Discovering what caused the snail population and resolving that issue is more productive for your tank

As Elodea said snails in are good for your tank.
Here's a little more information on Clown Loaches and some cool pictures as well https://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
Carol

omg i feel so terrible. right after i posted the first post i bought a clown loach the lady at the pet shop said they stayed small and would be fine in my tank. man i guess i should do my home work he's still very small now and he's getting along great with my rainbow shark and none of the other fish are bothering him at all. hopefully by the time he gets big i'll be able to afford an upgrade. this is my first time getting into the more tropical fish. normally i stick to the easy stuff like bettas and goldfish.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fish store employee that make stuff up rather than saying I don't know are right up there with MTS in my book.

So is he eating the snails? What shape are the snails?

Jayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read somewhere that if you take a small jar and poke some small holes into a lid, like with an icepick, and fill it with tank water and some lettuce the baby snails will crawl in and then get too big to crawl out. Then you just take the jar out and throw it away. You can pick out the big ones.

Also you can get a skunk loach or a zebra loach and they dont get as big as the clown loaches and they both eat snails.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jayde said:
I read somewhere that if you take a small jar and poke some small holes into a lid, like with an icepick, and fill it with tank water and some lettuce the baby snails will crawl in and then get too big to crawl out. Then you just take the jar out and throw it away. You can pick out the big ones.

Also you can get a skunk loach or a zebra loach and they dont get as big as the clown loaches and they both eat snails.
Trapping them does seem to be the only way do get the little buggers. I have little tea cups that I push into the substrate and bait with shrimp pellets. Then take it out and dump the MTS. I tried a trap I saw somewhere made out of a 20 ounce pop bottle but it didn't work as well as my tea cup.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skunk Loaches(Yasuhikotakia morleti ) are too aggressive for community tanks. They are recommended for species only tanks. Mine were great in a tank with just them and were appropriately named the brat Pack
Although Zebra Loaches( Botia striata) are excellent small community fish. But like most loaches need to be kept in groups of three or more and a 20 gallon isn't big enough for that
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads